Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why can't they make bras that fit right?

1. Sep 15, 2006 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Why can't they make bras that fit right? Why are the shoulder straps so close to the outside edge of your shoulders that the straps keep sliding down my arms? I am NOT built with the shoulders of an American football player (not soccer), which apparently, is what they had in mind.

Ok, aside from cross dressers, there are probably less than 6 other people in here that can relate, but I don't care. :devil:

Am I the only one that has this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2006 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I frequently find my bra straps fall half way down my arms. I also have trouble with strapless ones since I am allergic to nickel underwiring.

Hope you don't feel I'm belittling your problem, only kidding :biggrin:

Perhaps there is a gap in the market for you to exploit?

4. Sep 15, 2006 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Evo dear, while I'm reading your post, I am watching "What Not To Underwear" on TLC. They are doing an episode on how these 3 women are wearing the wrong underwear, including the wrong bras. They just finished showing them being evaluated by a bra consultant, and instructing them what actual bra size they wear, and how to wear them.

Maybe you should see if there's a bra consultant at one of the bigger clothing stores where you live - preferably the one that do not have a mountain lion! :)

Zz.

5. Sep 15, 2006 #4
    How would you design them so that they would fit perfectly? The anatomy of a woman isn't exactly made for wearing bras...

You aren't the only one with this problem, considering that I see this everyday.

Anyway, where is your entrepreneurial mind? Design new bras and market them! heh

6. Sep 15, 2006 #5

radou

Homework Helper

Start playing American football and have deep faith in shoulder growth. :biggrin:

7. Sep 15, 2006 #6

Evo

The problem is you have to fit the chest size and the cup size. But this is not a "fitting" issue, it's a "design" issue. The bras are made with the straps too far out. If they would position the straps more in the center of the cup instead at the very outside edge, it would solve the problem. Sure the "edge" position makes the bra look nice but makes it a nightmare to wear. I'm just going to have to start wearing "racing bras", they come to a "T" in the back to prevent the straps from falling off.

Perhaps it's because I have a very small frame and sloping shoulders that the design really does not work for me. If I had broad, square shoulders it wouldn't be a problem.

Kurdt, no that was funny! :biggrin: Actually I have given thought to designing bras, there have to be millions of women out there with feminine shoulders.

8. Sep 15, 2006 #7
    You should go 'european'....:devil:

9. Sep 15, 2006 #8
    give me a break, you dont actually use that as a phrase to imply not wearing a Bra?

Evo, although I cant help you on that one, my girlfriend also has the same problem :smile:

10. Sep 15, 2006 #9
    I will be your Bra Consultant Evo. Just send me a few pictures, and I will give you your correct bra size :tongue2:

11. Sep 15, 2006 #10

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You'd think they would make them for girls with smaller frames too. They should have like width size options.

12. Sep 15, 2006 #11
    My wife had this same issue, she tried a type of double stick tape that was supposed to keep the straps in place but it was useless. She eventually found a product online that she's been happy with, it's basically a small elastic strap that runs across your upper back. It pulls the ends of the straps together to keep them in place (a lot like the sternum strap on some backpacks). She says it works great, I'll see if she remembers where she got them (although they're probably easy enough to make yourself...)

-GeoMike-

13. Sep 15, 2006 #12

Evo

There are times you want pretty bras and times you just need a functional bra. Unfortunately I haven't had the need for a pretty bra in a very long time. :cry:

mattmns, you devil. :tongue:

Thanks guys for letting me know I'm not alone. I just finally cracked tonight. The bra I'm wearing is particularly bad and the tag says it's "the best fitting bra ever". Of course they didn't say what animal it was supposed to fit best, I'm thinking a baboon.

So, why do the bra makers continue to make such ill designed "ugly" bras? There's just no reason for that.

14. Sep 15, 2006 #13

The push-up bra straps are the worst.

15. Sep 15, 2006 #14

Evo

See, they make devices to fix the problem, why don't they just move the freaking straps in toward the middle of the cup, that would solve the problem. Aaarrgh. or position the the back straps in more toward the middle of the back?

Thanks, let me know, yeah, I've actually thought about tying the straps together behind my back but don't know how I would manage that without injuring myself.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  16. Sep 15, 2006 #15
  17. Sep 15, 2006 #16

Evo

Thanks!

But how does a klutz put that on?

18. Sep 15, 2006 #17
    :rofl: :rofl: Can you get Spawn or Evo child to help?

19. Sep 15, 2006 #18

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Victoria's Secret IPEX tech forum..

http://www.slate.com/id/2139801/
    :rofl:

20. Sep 15, 2006 #19

Danger

Gold Member

I had a similar problem with a shoulder holster several years ago. :rolleyes:
    Why don't you just cut the seams where the shoulder straps attach to the back strap, and swap them? You could, alternatively, reattach the front of the straps farther inboard.
    You can sew, can't you? :uhh:

21. Sep 15, 2006 #20
    by definition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?