1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Why did they change the sign to be negative?

1. May 25, 2016 #1

JR Sauerland

Gold Member

http://imgur.com/BNQPAQa

I'm missing something. Why does x+1/x suddenly become x-1/x2? I get that they moved the x to the top, subtracted the -1-1, but does that exclusively set the fraction negative all on its own ? I've computed it by hand. 1-2 comes out to be 1... So why is it negative... ?

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Starting with ##y=1/x## then you can write it as ##y=x^{-1}## and then using the rule ##dy/dx = d/dx(x^n) = nx^{n-1}## you get ##dy/dx=(-1)x^{-1-1} = -x^{-2} = -1/x^2##

In the bottom line of the picture, they are evaluating ##d/dx(x + 1/x)## as an example which is ##d/dx(x) + d/dx(1/x) = 1 -1/x^2##

4. May 25, 2016 #3

Mark44

You're missing two things:
    1) It isn't "x - 1/x2" It's ##1 - \frac 1 {x^2}##. At the very least,use ^ to indicate an exponent, as in 1 - 1/x^2.
    2) They are differentiating x + 1/x to get It's ##1 - \frac 1 {x^2}##, but they wrote what they're doing very poorly, IMO.
    ##\frac d {dx}(x + \frac 1 x) = \frac d {dx} x + \frac d {dx} x^{-1} = 1 + (-1)x^{-2} = 1 - \frac 1 {x^2}##

5. May 27, 2016 #4
    The image is extremely awkwardly worded. You should not feel bad for not getting it. It is just a terrible way of teaching this topic.

What happened is that it recognized that ##1/x## can be re-written as x^-1, and then you apply the power rule of differentiation: derivative of ##x^n## is nx^(n-1).

In our case, n = -1, so nx^(n-1) is -1 * x ^ (-1 -1) = - x^-2 = 1/x^2

6. May 27, 2016 #5

Mark44

At the end you lost the sign. It should be ##\frac {-1} {x^2}##

7. May 27, 2016 #6
    Yes I did. The equation maker here is very bad with exponents, got me all messed up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted