How to pronounce the "=" sign in the following situations?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter vopros217
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sign
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
vopros217
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
My native language is not English. I try to read textbooks in English.
I wonder how should I pronounce "=" in some special sentences: "equals", "is", "was equal", "being", "being equal" or somehow else.

How to pronounce the "=" sign in the following sentences:
1) It moves from x1=5m to x2=9m.
2) A displacement of x=3m was observed.
3) The body is noticed at t=5s when it is at x=8m.
4) How we have 0=3 ?

In addition, I wonder, how should I pronounce the following formula:

$$ \frac {a}{a+b+c} = \frac {a}{b+c} + d $$
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
vopros217 said:
My native language is not English. I try to read textbooks in English.
I wonder how should I pronounce "=" in some special sentences: "equals", "is", "was equal", "being", "being equal" or somehow else.

How to pronounce the "=" sign in the following sentences:
1) It moves from x1=5m to x2=9m.
2) A displacement of x=3m was observed.
3) The body is noticed at t=5s when it is at x=8m.
4) How we have 0=3 ?
For 1 to 3, "equals" is fine.
For 4, I would say "0 is equal to 3" or "0 equals 3" both of which are impossible.
vopros217 said:
In addition, I wonder, how should I pronounce the following formula:

$$ \frac {a}{a+b+c} = \frac {a}{b+c} + d $$
a divided by the quantity a + b + c equals a divided by the quantity b + c, plus d"
I'm not sure if you were asking how you would say the entire equation or just the = parts.
Speaking the equation in English or other language is not as good as writing the equation. It's difficult to convey the difference between ##\frac a {b + c +d}## and ##\frac a {b + c} + d## when they are given verbally.