Trouble with negative sign in this Potential Difference problem

In summary: The integrand is zero at the point of intersection, so there is no real value of ##|E|## to integrate over.)In summary, the negative goes away when you mix 1,2, and A,B.
guyvsdcsniper
Homework Statement
Let A=(x1,y1) and B=(x2,y2) be two points near and on the same side of a positively charged sheet with a uniform surface charge density. The electric field E⃗ due to such a charged sheet has the same magnitude everywhere and points away from the sheet, as shown in
Relevant Equations
V= -E*ds
So I know that E = -ΔV/Δs. If I wanted to solve for change in potential I could rearrange this equation and get Δ = -E*ds. With that information I believe I can solve the problem below. But in both solutions provided below, the negative sign goes away. Now I know I can pull the E out because it is uniform. Mylab does not go into detail on why the negative goes away. The hand written work includes the negative up until the 2nd to last step and I don't see how they got rid of it.

Any help with why the negative goes away?

FOrumhelp.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 7.29.47 AM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

You have a problem when you use 1,2 and A,B all together. Pick one of these two sets and use it consistently.

quittingthecult said:
So I know that E = -ΔV/Δs
Some thoughts…

You are asked to find ##V_{AB}## which is defined as ##V_A – V_B##. We can interpret this as the potential of A relative to B. (In the diagram shown, we expect this to be a positive value because point A is nearer to the positively charged sheet than point B.)

But (I think) your use of ##ΔV## is such that ##ΔV## means ##V_B – V_A##. This means ΔV is the change in potential moving from A to B; it is the potential of B relative to A. So ##ΔV = -V_{AB}##.

And I agree with @BvU. mixing A, B, 1 and 2 seems to be a potential (pun intended) source of confusion.

This line is wrong:
##\vec{dl}=(x_2-x_1)\hat x+(y_2-y_1)\hat y##, where ##A=(x_1,y_1)## etc.
On the left, ##\vec {dl}## is a small element of the path, while on the right,
##(x_2-x_1)\hat x+(y_2-y_1)\hat y## is the whole path.
It should read ##\vec{dl}=dx\hat x+dy\hat y##.
##\vec E.\vec{dl}=dy|E|##
##V_{AB}=-\int_B^A|E|dy=\int_A^B|E|dy=(y_2-y_1)|E|##

This confusion in the text in the image effectively led to the bounds being ignored in the integration and thereby treated as ##_A^B##.

What is a potential difference?

A potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the amount of energy needed to move a unit of charge from one point to another.

Why is a negative sign causing trouble in this potential difference problem?

In some cases, a negative sign in a potential difference problem can indicate that the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the current flow. This can be confusing and may require a change in the direction of calculations or vectors.

How can I determine the direction of the electric field in a potential difference problem?

The direction of the electric field can be determined by the direction of the current flow. If the current is flowing from a positive to a negative terminal, the electric field will be in the opposite direction. Alternatively, you can use the right-hand rule to determine the direction of the electric field based on the direction of the current and magnetic field.

What are some common mistakes when dealing with negative signs in potential difference problems?

One common mistake is forgetting to account for the negative sign and incorrectly calculating the magnitude of the potential difference. Another mistake is not paying attention to the direction of the electric field and incorrectly setting up the problem. It is important to double-check all calculations and consider the direction of the electric field when dealing with negative signs in potential difference problems.

How can I avoid confusion when dealing with negative signs in potential difference problems?

To avoid confusion, it is important to carefully read the problem and clearly define the direction of the electric field and current flow. It can also be helpful to draw a diagram or use the right-hand rule to visualize the direction of the electric field. Additionally, double-checking all calculations and making sure they are consistent with the defined direction of the electric field can help avoid confusion.