Why did you start learning physics?

• Thread starter Robin04
  • Start date
  • Featured
Also I can relate, as I'm in high school to and I plan to take physics senior year. I did want to take it earlier, but I'm not enthusiastic in math, so the fact I got bad grades in math held me back even more. I was truly bad luck brian, as physics was my dream ever since I was seven. It's one of the few things that make me enjoy life to be honest. Physics is truly an art to me.
I have found that math becomes easier and less of a chore when you treat it as a method instead of an end. It's just the logical answer of what makes sense. Math isn't a bunch of rules, it is process of understanding. You slowly learn all the pieces, geometry and algebra, and then in calculus it all comes together with limit theory and derivatives and integrals. My calc teacher puts a lot of calc based physics into the curriculum, and with it you start to see the real life application of what you are learning, in a way that makes sense, unlike in algebra. I don't know if you have gotten to calculus, but, at least in my school, that is when most students get the "aha moment". Treat math as a language and a skill, and simply use it to further your understanding of science. Good luck in your future math classes.

Likes Auto-Didact
George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I was born in 1960, and the space race in 60s captured my attention as a kid. This led to an interest in astronomy, which, in turn, led to to a passionate interest in physics that started in high school, and that continues to this day. Exposure to Euclidean geometry (without applications) in high school led to to a passionate interest in pure maths, I still like pure math for its own sake, but I particularly like mathematical structures (e.g. groups, algebras, Hilbert spaces, differential geometry) applied to theoretical physics.

For some reason I love all things STEM and aside from elementary school have always been ahead of my class. Although I was developmentally delayed, I became good at STEM due to studying nonstop trying to catch up and then overshooting, and training myself to absorb information very easily. Although I made a terrible choice in choosing to be in almost nothing but CP in high school. STEM just makes me so happy and when I am upset

As a kid, I really loved books that centred around astronomy (had a weird obsession with planets for a while), dinosaurs, and earth science. I also really liked being able to connect maths to the information in physics. I just really really like finding the solution to something after putting all the pieces together and working out their relationships.

To be honest, I just thought electricity was really, really cool.

pinball1970
Gold Member
Biology was always my thing rather than physics till I started working in Chemistry labs.

That got me into production, dyes, colour, instrumentation and finally colour physics.

Why did you decided to learn physics? What was your motivation?
I got incredibly interested when I was introduced to (very basic) physics at age 13. I was particularly fascinated when I learned about atoms and electrons. And this fascination is still alive and well :smile:, and that is one of the reasons I am on this forum.