1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do grad schools want to know where else you apply?

1. Sep 29, 2009 #1
    I'm applying to Ph.D and M.S. programs in medical physics this year, and I've noticed on some applications there is an option to fill in what other graduate schools I am applying to. Why do grad schools want this information? Would it increase my chances if I provide that information? Could it hurt my chances if I do not? Any insight would be appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They want to know who they are competing against. You could just leave it blank or you might improve your chances by listing some high end schools. Personally I think it's un-proffesional for a university

When I was a applying for undergrad he place I went would give you a 50% lower entry requirement if you were also applying to the other college across town. It makes a slight mockery of the idea that you need a certain grade because of the difficulty of the course.

4. Sep 29, 2009 #3
    There's a spot on the application to list other schools? That seems weird, since none of my applications had anything like this. Once when I was visiting a school, one of the professors informally asked me where else I was applying, but that's the most I ever had to divulge. I don't know what goes on in admissions committee meetings, but I seriously doubt it matters all that much what you put in this section.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook