1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do high-frequency sounds make people more alert and create tension?

1. Mar 20, 2009 #1
    Hello,

I was wondering why high-frequency sounds make people more alert (often films use high-pitched sound to create tension).

I was told it is something to do with high-frequency sounds having more energy so they seem closer to us and therefore have more immediate impact but I wasn't sure.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2009 #2
  4. Mar 20, 2009 #3
    Thank you for your help- it's not quite what I'm trying to find out-your link was more about why low frequency sounds can have a negative effect on health. I'm more interested in the effects of high frequency sounds

5. Mar 20, 2009 #4
    This sounds like a psychology question.

6. Mar 21, 2009 #5
    There is one word to describe this phenomenon... irritation.

Through any form of sensory irritation 2-things happen: a heightened sense of the event, and, a pseudo-automatic response to either accept it or "fight-or-flight"

7. Mar 22, 2009 #6
    I'd agree with that, pallidin. High frequencies at a sustained note invoke a primeval alert response. But it cant be just the irritation alone. There is nothing more irritating than the unique disharmonics of a baby crying, with th exception of a practiced four or five year old, with better lungs, who has learned to apply what works best :tongue2:. Parents scramble, and strangers mutter. Sibblings take notes, and teenagers consider changing stomping grounds.

It seems there should be a noun for the invoked feeling on hearing a high frequency alarm. I can't think what it is--other than perhaps 'alarmed'.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  8. Aug 29, 2011 #7
    The high-frequency is higher then your body frequency is,this will irritate you and may cause a little tension for you. For example, you go to the beach and listen to the waves crash,relaxing, because the wave frequency is at or near your body frequency. Also, a song you like very much is also at or very near your body frequency,and on the flip side, a song you really dislike is very far from your body frequency.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook