Why do Newton's laws only apply in inertial reference frames?

In summary, Newton's first law only applies in an inertial reference frame, where the frame is at a constant velocity. This means that if the reference frame is accelerating, the first law no longer applies. For example, if you are floating in space, that is an inertial frame, and a ball will move in a straight line with constant velocity when thrown. However, if you are standing on Earth, which is a non-inertial frame, a ball will follow a curved path when thrown due to the Earth's rotation. A pool table simulates an inertial frame, where a ball will move straight with constant velocity unless it is affected by friction.
member 392791
Hello, I am having difficulty understanding the concept of Newton's first law only applying in an inertial reference frame, or a frame that is at constant velocity, however, apparently the 1st law no longer applies if the reference frame is accelerating. Can anyone give me some sort of concrete example so I can see it in my mind, right now it's not making any sense to me. Actually, I just need an explanation of the whole concept of inertial vs noninertial reference frame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you're floating out in space that's an inertial frame. If you toss a ball it will go straight at a constant velocity.

In contrast a non-inertial frame is where you're standing on the Earth and you toss a ball the ball travels in a curve.

A pool table simulates an inertial frame in the xy plane ie z is height above the ground. Setting a ball in motion it will move straight and only slow due to friction.

Related to Why do Newton's laws only apply in inertial reference frames?

What is an inertial reference frame?

An inertial reference frame is a coordinate system in which the laws of physics are valid and unchanged. It is a frame of reference that is not experiencing any acceleration or rotation.

How do you determine if a reference frame is inertial?

A reference frame is considered inertial if an object at rest in that frame remains at rest and an object in motion continues to move in a straight line at a constant speed, unless acted upon by an external force.

What is the importance of inertial reference frames in physics?

Inertial reference frames are important because they provide a consistent and reliable basis for the study and application of laws of motion and other physical principles. They allow for accurate measurements and predictions of motion and forces in the natural world.

Can there be multiple inertial reference frames in one system?

Yes, there can be multiple inertial reference frames in a single system as long as they are not accelerating or rotating with respect to each other. This allows for the comparison and analysis of motion and forces from different perspectives.

What are some real-life examples of inertial reference frames?

Examples of inertial reference frames include a car moving at a constant speed on a straight road, a satellite orbiting the Earth, and a ball rolling on a frictionless surface. These systems all follow the laws of motion in an inertial reference frame.