Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do people have relationships?

1. Dec 11, 2009 #1
    Other than sex, children, and legal stuff(if married), of course.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2009 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm guessing you live in a cave.

4. Dec 12, 2009 #3
    hahahahaha!

nahh but really, they're fun...for awhile ;)

5. Dec 12, 2009 #4

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have two accounts?

6. Dec 12, 2009 #5
    I'm thinking the same thing. Why would one not want one?

7. Dec 12, 2009 #6
    because you don't want any more responsibilities ....

8. Dec 12, 2009 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Or something like that..

9. Dec 12, 2009 #8
    Nail on the head, IMO.

10. Dec 12, 2009 #9

fluidistic

Gold Member

I'm sure a relationship makes happy many humans. It might be another reason.

11. Dec 12, 2009 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Fear of being alone and financial reasons are probably near the top. The OP didn't stipulate "healthy relationships".

12. Dec 12, 2009 #11

fluidistic

Gold Member

ahah yes. I didn't think about that, but you're right on this.

13. Dec 12, 2009 #12

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Because we are wired that way. Humans are social animals and although one should be careful about talking about "natural" in this context it is certainly true that our brains are "programmed" to look for companionship, and that at a rather basic level (meaning NOT trying to be in a relationship probably requires more involvment from our higher brain functions than being in one).
    One might equally well ask why wolves live in packs, or ants in colonies.

14. Dec 12, 2009 #13
    something interesting from wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage#cite_ref-20

I don't think there are any particular reasons other than making sure that children are raised well which require equivalent effort from both parties. (I believe there are some animals where both mom and dad put effort in raising the kids while in some only one have to take care.. In some cases, male will kill the children to start new relantionship)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  15. Dec 12, 2009 #14
    Well that was helpful.

16. Dec 13, 2009 #15
    http://www.lionresearch.org/current_docs/6.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  17. Dec 13, 2009 #16
    I didn't say it wasn't true. It's just not helpful to a discussion about why humans get involved in relationships to tell us that male lions will kill cubs so the female lion can mate again. Are they going to buy a condo together? No? Then? How is this helpful information?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  18. Dec 13, 2009 #17
    Because forming relationships or living in societies is not unique to the humans only and hence I believe you need to look beyond humans to answer the OP question. Killing cubs is not directly related and I agree.

19. Dec 13, 2009 #18

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Um... you develop relationships whether you like it or not.

You talk to a cashier while buying something. You have a relationship. The relationship is defined to be that you're both relatively strangers to each other but you have met.

My relationship with those on PF are basically defined as online friends.

To not want ANY relationship must imply you want to live in a cave. And to not know the benefits of a relationship must imply you LIVED in a cave.

If you mean relationshipt to MEAN monogamous relationship with a partner, then that's a whole other question!

20. Dec 13, 2009 #19

I think OP is talking about marriages or long term relationships as he mentioned children/legal.

21. Dec 13, 2009 #20

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can have children and not be monogamous or even living in the same house as the person you had children with and STILL be in a relationship.

If you're going to discuss whether or not to be in a relationship, we must be clear on what kind of relationship we are talking about. So he's talking about a traditional monogamous relationship where you live together and have kids, and save money on taxes. And do the typical things you see on TV, like Everybody Loves Raymond?

If that's the case, then I have no idea why someone would want that!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook