Why do people have relationships?

• Thread starter Pinu7
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Other than sex, children, and legal stuff(if married), of course.

Answers and Replies

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I'm guessing you live in a cave.

hahahahaha!

nahh but really, they're fun...for awhile ;)

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
You have two accounts?

I'm thinking the same thing. Why would one not want one?

I'm thinking the same thing. Why would one not want one?
because you don't want any more responsibilities ....

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
LifeofBrian said:
Whatever have the Romans ever done for us, apart from a stable government, aquaducts, roads, wine and a million other wares we now can get hold of??
Or something like that..

fluidistic
Gold Member
I'm sure a relationship makes happy many humans. It might be another reason.

Evo
Mentor
Fear of being alone and financial reasons are probably near the top. The OP didn't stipulate "healthy relationships".

fluidistic
Gold Member
Fear of being alone and financial reasons are probably near the top. The OP didn't stipulate "healthy relationships".
ahah yes. I didn't think about that, but you're right on this.

f95toli
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Because we are wired that way. Humans are social animals and although one should be careful about talking about "natural" in this context it is certainly true that our brains are "programmed" to look for companionship, and that at a rather basic level (meaning NOT trying to be in a relationship probably requires more involvment from our higher brain functions than being in one).
One might equally well ask why wolves live in packs, or ants in colonies.

Various cultures have had their own theories on the origin of marriage. One example may lie in a man's need for assurance as to paternity of his children. He might therefore be willing to pay a bride price or provide for a woman in exchange for exclusive sexual access.[21] Legitimacy is the consequence of this transaction rather than its motivation. In Comanche society, married women work harder, lose sexual freedom, and do not seem to obtain any benefit from marriage.[22] But nubile women are a source of jealousy and strife in the tribe, so they are given little choice other than to get married. "In almost all societies, access to women is institutionalized in some way so as to moderate the intensity of this competition."[23] In English common law, a marriage was a voluntary contract by a man and a woman, where by agreement they choose to become husband and wife.[24] Edvard Westermarck proposed that "the institution of marriage has probably developed out of a primeval habit".[25]
something interesting from wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage#cite_ref-20

I don't think there are any particular reasons other than making sure that children are raised well which require equivalent effort from both parties. (I believe there are some animals where both mom and dad put effort in raising the kids while in some only one have to take care.. In some cases, male will kill the children to start new relantionship)

Last edited:
In some cases, male will kill the children to start new relantionship)
Well that was helpful.

Well that was helpful.
http://www.lionresearch.org/current_docs/6.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.lionresearch.org/current_docs/6.pdf [Broken]
I didn't say it wasn't true. It's just not helpful to a discussion about why humans get involved in relationships to tell us that male lions will kill cubs so the female lion can mate again. Are they going to buy a condo together? No? Then? How is this helpful information?

I didn't say it wasn't true. It's just not helpful to a discussion about why humans get involved in relationships to tell us that male lions will kill cubs so the female lion can mate again. Are they going to buy a condo together? No? Then? How is this helpful information?
Because forming relationships or living in societies is not unique to the humans only and hence I believe you need to look beyond humans to answer the OP question. Killing cubs is not directly related and I agree.

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Um... you develop relationships whether you like it or not.

You talk to a cashier while buying something. You have a relationship. The relationship is defined to be that you're both relatively strangers to each other but you have met.

My relationship with those on PF are basically defined as online friends.

To not want ANY relationship must imply you want to live in a cave. And to not know the benefits of a relationship must imply you LIVED in a cave.

If you mean relationshipt to MEAN monogamous relationship with a partner, then that's a whole other question!

Um... you develop relationships whether you like it or not.

You talk to a cashier while buying something. You have a relationship. The relationship is defined to be that you're both relatively strangers to each other but you have met.

My relationship with those on PF are basically defined as online friends.

To not want ANY relationship must imply you want to live in a cave. And to not know the benefits of a relationship must imply you LIVED in a cave.

If you mean relationshipt to MEAN monogamous relationship with a partner, then that's a whole other question!

I think OP is talking about marriages or long term relationships as he mentioned children/legal.

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I think OP is talking about marriages or long term relationships as he mentioned children/legal.
You can have children and not be monogamous or even living in the same house as the person you had children with and STILL be in a relationship.

If you're going to discuss whether or not to be in a relationship, we must be clear on what kind of relationship we are talking about. So he's talking about a traditional monogamous relationship where you live together and have kids, and save money on taxes. And do the typical things you see on TV, like Everybody Loves Raymond?

If that's the case, then I have no idea why someone would want that!!!

You can have children and not be monogamous or even living in the same house as the person you had children with and STILL be in a relationship.

If you're going to discuss whether or not to be in a relationship, we must be clear on what kind of relationship we are talking about. So he's talking about a traditional monogamous relationship where you live together and have kids, and save money on taxes. And do the typical things you see on TV, like Everybody Loves Raymond?

If that's the case, then I have no idea why someone would want that!!!
Neither me. I cannot do those kind of typical things.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Unhealthy relationships can make as many humans as unhealthy relationships.

And I guess whichever preference (relationships or no relationships) is most likely to make many humans will wind up being the most common preference.

But it does make one wonder ..... which is more likely to make many humans - healthy relationships or unhealthy relationships?

Has anyone wondered what percent of relationships are really happy and healthy? I would guess it is actually quite low.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Has anyone wondered what percent of relationships are really happy and healthy? I would guess it is actually quite low.
Emotionally or physically?

Over half of all Americans will have a sexually transmitted disease at some time in their life. http://www.ashastd.org/learn/learn_statistics.cfm [Broken]

25% of women and 8% of men are raped and/or physically abused by their partner. http://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/181867.pdf (executive summary).

I'm not sure how meaningful those statistics are since most people wind up having more than one relationship in their lifetime. I imagine being involved in at least one unhealthy relationship in a person's lifetime could be pretty common - common enough that recognizing and getting out of unhealthy relationships could be a key skill to learn while young.

I'm not quite sure that a divorce automatically means the relationship was unhealthy - for the same reason that I wouldn't say every girlfriend/boyfriend a person ever had that didn't result in marriage must have been an unhealthy relationship.

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Emotionally or physically?

Over half of all Americans will have a sexually transmitted disease at some time in their life. http://www.ashastd.org/learn/learn_statistics.cfm [Broken]

25% of women and 8% of men are raped and/or physically abused by their partner. http://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/181867.pdf (executive summary).

I'm not sure how meaningful those statistics are since most people wind up having more than one relationship in their lifetime. I imagine being involved in at least one unhealthy relationship in a person's lifetime could be pretty common - common enough that recognizing and getting out of unhealthy relationships could be a key skill to learn while young.

I'm not quite sure that a divorce automatically means the relationship was unhealthy - for the same reason that I wouldn't say every girlfriend/boyfriend a person ever had that didn't result in marriage must have been an unhealthy relationship.

My aunt just got divorced. Definitely still healthy. One wants to move in the city and the other in the fields. They split. No argument at all and you can tell. Good for them. Great model for their kids, who are teens right now.

How is having an STD relevant to bad relationships?