Why do people have relationships?

• Thread starter Pinu7
  • Start date
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
How is having an STD relevant to bad relationships?
The comment was about healthy relationships, not good/bad relationships. I think obtaining a disease from a relationship pretty much automatically qualifies as an unhealthy relationship.

A good/bad relationship might not even be that relevant to healthy/unhealthy relationships since I think how the couple resolve a bad relationship is a better indicator of their emotional health than whether they have a good/bad relationship.

I don't know why people have relationships, but for myself, I have too many. I was living the life of Tiger, but it all came crashing down. Mistress 3 found out about mistress 5 and that's when the troubles began. The real disaster happened when I was following this nice piece of fluff home. She had all the right curves in all the right places, just the kind I like, if you catch my drift. Imagine my chagrin to find out it was my wife. I'm down to one relationship for the duration.

I don't know why people have relationships, but for myself, I have too many. I was living the life of Tiger, but it all came crashing down. Mistress 3 found out about mistress 5 and that's when the troubles began. The real disaster happened when I was following this nice piece of fluff home. She had all the right curves in all the right places, just the kind I like, if you catch my drift. Imagine my chagrin to find out it was my wife. I'm down to one relationship for the duration.
This is set in the '50's, right? Next, a corpse is discovered and Jimmy spends the rest of the book tracking down the killer to clear his name.

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The comment was about healthy relationships, not good/bad relationships. I think obtaining a disease from a relationship pretty much automatically qualifies as an unhealthy relationship.

A good/bad relationship might not even be that relevant to healthy/unhealthy relationships since I think how the couple resolve a bad relationship is a better indicator of their emotional health than whether they have a good/bad relationship.
I don't think that qualifies as unhealthy either. If so, then someone who contracts the flu from their partner should be considered unhealthy as well. Most STD's are curable, and often STD are acquired by just about anyone and has no relevance to promiscuity.

Just about anyone can be carrying an STD from a past partner and not even know it, and enter in a new one and have the unfortunate be discovered. That doesn't qualify as unhealthy in my books at all. Sometimes symptoms won't show until 5 years into a great marriage. Seriously, to say STD imply unhealthy is rather shallow in my opinion.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
That's a valid point.

A person could get tested once a year at their annual doctor's visit, though. Going years without knowing they have a STD is a sign of an unhealthy lifestyle, or at least a sign they don't pay much attention to their health (although how many younger people without health insurance actually get physicals).

It's not unreasonable to expect a partner to have gotten themselves tested in between relationships, though.

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
That's a valid point.

A person could get tested once a year at their annual doctor's visit, though. Going years without knowing they have a STD is a sign of an unhealthy lifestyle, or at least a sign they don't pay much attention to their health (although how many younger people without health insurance actually get physicals).

It's not unreasonable to expect a partner to have gotten themselves tested in between relationships, though.
Again, getting tested DOES NOT imply you will know if have an STD. There are STD's that are NOT detectable until you symptoms, and some take years. Some never come.

Yes, their are "tests" for everything, but if you ask a doctor, he will say not all of them are conclusive.

Do you even know anything about STD's to even "jump the gun" and say you have an unhealthy lifestyle if you have one for over a year, or because transmitted it to someone, or received implies unhealthy relationship?

Some STD's are not even originally STD's and can "by accident" become an STD, for example herpes.

You're going pretty far to protect your view, but it fails my friend. It fails. It is shallow.

And once again, unhealthy lifestyle does not imply unhealthy relationship.

Note: Using an iPod demonstrates unhealthy lifestyle in my books.

http://www.herpesresourcecenter.com/mvf.html [Broken]

You still haven't defended your point using anything valid. According to that link, herpes testing isn't even part of the regular screening. So, are you saying we should get TESTED for everything. So that means even if we show no risks of the long list of infections and disease, even those that are not STD's, we should get tested so that we are considered healthy lifestyle? I doubt you're even doing that. Probably getting the standard tests and that's it. And you seem to have implied unhealthy lifestyle implies unhealthy relationship with another. So that means you're not in a healthy relationship?

You got a full physical? Last time I heard, that doesn't test for schizophrenia and many other things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
People have relationships because they enjoy companionship and fear dying alone.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
People have relationships because they enjoy companionship and fear dying alone.
Or because they enjoy companionship and fear living alone.

The only part of dying alone that scares me is if no one knew I was dead and no one fed my dog. That would be pretty depressing to have your own poor, starving dog eat you so it could survive just a few more days.

Or because they enjoy companionship and fear living alone.

The only part of dying alone that scares me is if no one knew I was dead and no one fed my dog. That would be pretty depressing to have your own poor, starving dog eat you so it could survive just a few more days.
I think when people say dying alone, what they mean is growing old alone.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I enjoy companionship, and I wouldn't mind dying alone. In fact, I would prefer to die alone some place where the vultures can clean up the remains, otherwise I'd prefer to set my own pyre.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
...... I'd prefer to set my own pyre.
Before or after your death?

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Before or after your death?
At the time of.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Some insight into relationships from a Christmas card that my wife gave me.

We're each better because of each other.

We laugh.
We flirt.
We love.
We make out and make up.
We drive each other crazy - keep each other sane.
We hold each other tight and hold each other together.

I don't know if every relationship is quite so amazing as ours.
I only know how much I love the one we've got.
Thank you for making my life this good, this happy, this full.
So after 28 years, I must be doing something right. :biggrin: