Why do so many professors just do proofs in class?

In summary, the tests require us to use what we prove in order to calculate something, which is confusing because we already know the identities work.
indeed, so what is the appropriate response? give into their incapacity? or hold them to a higher standard, where they are expected to do some work on their own?

it is not at all clear that when faced with students who have no experience with doing their own work, that one should respond by babying them further.

Physics news on Phys.org
mathwonk said:
indeed, so what is the appropriate response? give into their incapacity? or hold them to a higher standard, where they are expected to do some work on their own?

it is not at all clear that when faced with students who have no experience with doing their own work, that one should respond by babying them further.

The correct way to administer your instruction is as you indicate: Hold them to a higher standard to do their own work. The trouble with that approach is that some teachers still must worry about keeping their jobs.

symbolipoint said:
The correct way to administer your instruction is as you indicate: Hold them to a higher standard to do their own work. The trouble with that approach is that some teachers still must worry about keeping their jobs.

...or everyone just friggin' scours the internet for scans of the david griffiths EM solution manual...

I forgot to check back to this thread but regarding the comments about my first post here, I think I was misunderstood. I meant that I think it is important to understand the proof, before plugging in the numbers into the equation. Simply understanding the proof and not using it would be kinda pointless! (In this context)

Last edited: