Why do some chords sounds pleasing while others do not?

• Thread starter Nathew
  • Start date
In summary, the aesthetic feel of a note is influenced by the structure of the ear, the structure of the sound, and the musical taste of the observer. The concept of beat frequencies is difficult to explain without doing the homework, but it involves increasing the frequency of one tone and observing the mixture of the two. The question of why certain chords sound good while others do not can be interpreted in terms of human preference and cultural evolution, or as a topic taught in some schools. The alignment of frequencies in chords is what creates a pleasing sound, while random notes do not align and therefore do not sound as nice. However, the question of why they do not sound nice to humans is a more complex and subjective one.
Nathew
Does it have to do with how the wavelength and what beat frequencies are created?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
The aesthetic feel of a note depends on the structure of the ear, the structure of the sound, and the musical taste of the observer :)

In terms of beat frequencies - it is hard to answer without doing your homework for you.

What happens as:
you start out with two identical tones, and gradually change the frequency of one of them?

Well when you increase ones frequency it just gets higher pitched. No? What I don't get is why a certain chord sounds good while others do not.

Thread closed for Moderation...

Thread is re-opened.

Nathew said:
Well when you increase ones frequency it just gets higher pitched. No? What I don't get is why a certain chord sounds good while others do not.
Well yes - but what you hear is the mixture of the two tones.

What happens - in terms of beats?
If you have not seen/heard this done - there are demonstrations on youtube.

I read this as a question of human preference rather than anything about the physics. I think I've heard of research showing that speakers in agreement tend to harmonise their pitches more than those in disagreement. But I can't find a reference to this, and it still leaves the chicken-and-egg question of which came first, the preference or the tendency.

Yes this could be read as a question of aesthetics and culture, and the evolution of the human auditory system.

However, I recognize the question from part of how beats are taught in some schools.
There is a crossover point between two ordered behaviors of the waveform where the wave appears disordered. The sound is really ugly at that point. Shallow, I know.

Some chords are "resolved" in character. Others are "suspended" or otherwise discordant. You might need a lot of music theory to sort this out.

Here is an example of a chord that is often used as a "turnaround" chord in some forms of music. It's not discordant in and of itself, but it can resolve easily to any number of more natural chords.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominant_seventh_sharp_ninth_chord

So we need more feedback from nathew to answer properly.

From what I have read, the chords that sound good are comprised of notes with frequencies that align on a regular basis. Random notes will not usually do this and that is why they don't sound as nice

Nathew said:
From what I have read, the chords that sound good are comprised of notes with frequencies that align on a regular basis. Random notes will not usually do this and that is why they don't sound as nice
It explains why they sound different, but why they would not sound as nice to a human is a much tougher question. A cockroach might prefer them.

That's true. Didnt really think about it like that

1. Why do some chords sound pleasing while others do not?

The perceived pleasantness of a chord is determined by its combination of notes and the relationships between those notes. Chords that have a harmonious relationship, such as major and minor triads, tend to sound pleasing to the ear. On the other hand, chords with dissonant intervals, such as tritones, can sound unpleasant or jarring.

2. How do different cultures perceive chord progressions?

Cultures around the world have varying preferences for chord progressions. For example, Western music tends to favor major and minor chords, while Eastern music may incorporate more complex and dissonant chords. Cultural upbringing and exposure to different types of music can greatly influence how we perceive different chord progressions.

3. Can individual preferences affect how we perceive chords?

Yes, individual preferences can play a role in how we perceive chords. Some people may find certain chords or progressions more pleasing based on personal taste or past experiences. Additionally, factors such as mood, emotions, and cultural background can also influence how we perceive chords.

4. Are there any scientific explanations for why certain chords sound pleasing?

Yes, there are scientific explanations for the pleasantness of certain chords. Studies have shown that harmonious chords and intervals activate specific areas of the brain associated with pleasure and reward. This suggests that our brains are wired to find certain combinations of notes more pleasing than others.

5. Can the context of a chord affect its perceived pleasantness?

Absolutely. The context of a chord, such as the surrounding chords and the overall song structure, can greatly impact its perceived pleasantness. For example, a chord that may sound unpleasant on its own may sound pleasing when played within a certain chord progression or in the context of a song. This is because our brains perceive chords in relation to the chords that come before and after them.