Why do some physics majors become high school teachers?

In summary, the conversation discusses the motives behind becoming a high school teacher. Some argue that it is a calling and a lifelong goal, while others suggest that it may be a fallback career for those who could not find success in other fields. The conversation also delves into the challenges of being a high school teacher, particularly in California where the education system is seen as flawed. Ultimately, the role of a high school teacher is seen as an opportunity to inspire and nurture students' interests and abilities in a specific subject, such as physics.
Peter Tran
I'm not downplaying the idea by any means, I'm just curious of the motive behind it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Um...because they want to?

I'm not sure what sort of answer you're looking for.

because they like teaching and inspiring high school students?

rummgamon said:
because they like teaching and inspiring high school students?

What does this have to do with being a high school teacher? :wink:

Pengwuino said:
What does this have to do with being a high school teacher? :wink:
Well, being a high school teacher puts them in a position to personally nurture the interest and abilities of high school students. While someone in another job- say a research physicist might write books or publish articles that spark that interest, ultimately, one still requires an able teacher to guide and deepen one's understanding.

rummgamon said:
Well, being a high school teacher puts them in a position to personally nurture the interest and abilities of high school students. While someone in another job- say a research physicist might write books or publish articles that spark that interest, ultimately, one still requires an able teacher to guide and deepen one's understanding.

So your saying they do it out of service?
Well I saw that you said
nurture the interest and abilities of high school students
Yet then you say
research physicist might write books or publish articles that spark that interest

So I'll assume you mean that the teacher nutures their interest, as well as the students' interests and abilities?

Vanadium 50 said:

Well, why do they want to? I'm trying to understand the motive behind it.
Just because someone wants to; is a really broad statement. It's like how I live in my house, just because I want to.
Yes but, I live in it because of my need for shelter.

Last edited:
Peter Tran said:
Well, why do they want to? I'm trying to understand the motive behind it.

Not just majors, a non-trivial percentage of PhDs teach high school and community college.

I think your question is a bit condescending though- the question implies that teaching high school is "worse" than a career in research, engineering, etc. It also implies that people who go into teaching "can't hack it" in more technical majors.

Peter Tran said:
Just because someone wants to; is a really broad statement.
Well, you get a really broad statement in reply to a really broad question. rummgamon gave you a good motive.

Everyone I know who became a high school teacher did so because they wanted to. A lifelong goal, in most cases. It takes a lot of work to become a teacher.

Oh gosh, I didn't know I was giving off that intention that teaching high school is "lesser", I thought I addressed it clearly. I'm not meaning that. I'd just like to know, as I've said, why do people pick it? Just like how I'd wonder why people prefer apples over oranges.

So I'm getting the impression it's just something someone wants to "do". It's really simple, but that's the only answer I'm getting. So I'll take it.

Thanks.

rummgamon said:

I was being sarcastic.

ParticleGrl said:
I think your question is a bit condescending though- the question implies that teaching high school is "worse" than a career in research, engineering, etc. It also implies that people who go into teaching "can't hack it" in more technical majors.

I think the OP made it a point NOT to be condescending.

lurky said:
Everyone I know who became a high school teacher did so because they wanted to. A lifelong goal, in most cases. It takes a lot of work to become a teacher.

Unfortunately, a majority of the people I know are in the opposite situation. They had no chance of being accepted to any graduate schools or couldn't find a job because of their lack of a skill set needed in industry so they defaulted to high school teaching.

While it may be the case that being a high school teacher in other states isn't so poorly looked upon, but in California it is pretty much the flunky career route. It all starts with a mandatory 2 year credentialing process which everyone who I know who has gone that route says is the biggest waste of your life (and an insult to their intelligence). Then you actually maybe teach and let's face it, California schools are awful in more ways than I can count on my hands. It drives away MANY people who would make great high school teachers. Being a high school physics teacher at it's core is a great career and a great calling to some, but it's almost as if California is actively trying to destroy science teachers.
The only people who take such a route are the ones who have to here.

Peter Tran said:
So I'm getting the impression it's just something someone wants to "do". It's really simple, but that's the only answer I'm getting. So I'll take it.

I think it's fairly self-explanatory. You have a chance to show class after class after class the beauty you see in a subject and try to get them interested. It really can be a fun job as well. Some of my most entertaining conversations have been with people with a high school level knowledge of physics. You get to talk about how the world around us isn't so simple and in fact, is more complicated than anyone could have ever imagined. Maybe you'll encourage the next Feynman to seek out Physics as a calling instead of going off into another field. Who knows.

Pengwuino said:
While it may be the case that being a high school teacher in other states isn't so poorly looked upon, but in California

Interesting. Where I live (Ontario, the Canadian one), it's just very different. Most people do a concurrent education program, which gives them two "teachables" and teacher training (works out to, IIRC, a 4-year bachelor's in your major field + 1 year of teacher's college). You don't just fall into the profession; you have to plan for it. There are some who do it backwards and get some random degree first and then go to teacher's college, but it takes longer that way because they end up lacking in some of the teacher training that the undergrads get. And the teaching profession is fairly well regarded (and well paid). Competition to get into teaching programs is pretty fierce. I have met a lot of these students and a lot of them could go off and be doctors if they wanted (and oddly enough, a lot of those really good ones end up becoming kindergarten teachers).

1. Why would someone with a physics degree choose to become a high school teacher?

There are a variety of reasons why someone with a physics degree may choose to become a high school teacher. Some may have a passion for teaching and want to share their knowledge and love for physics with the next generation. Others may see teaching as a stable and rewarding career path. Additionally, some may use teaching as a way to gain experience and further their own understanding of physics.

2. What skills do physics majors have that make them well-suited for teaching high school?

Physics majors often have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a deep understanding of mathematical principles. These skills are important for teaching complex concepts to high school students. Additionally, physics majors are trained to think critically and communicate effectively, which are essential skills for teaching.

3. Are there any specific certifications or qualifications required for a physics major to become a high school teacher?

Each state has its own requirements for teachers, but in general, individuals with a physics degree must complete a teacher education program and pass state-specific exams to become certified to teach in high school. Some may also pursue additional certifications, such as national board certification, to enhance their qualifications.

4. What are some challenges that physics majors may face when transitioning from a career in physics to teaching high school?

One of the main challenges for physics majors transitioning to teaching high school is adjusting to the pace and structure of a classroom setting. In physics research, individuals often have the freedom to work independently and at their own pace, whereas teaching requires a high level of organization and the ability to manage a classroom. Additionally, teaching may require developing new teaching methods and strategies to effectively communicate complex concepts to students with varying levels of understanding.

5. Can a physics major become a high school teacher and still continue their research or work in the field of physics?

Yes, it is possible for a physics major to become a high school teacher and continue their research or work in the field of physics. Many teachers find ways to incorporate their research into their teaching, such as through hands-on experiments or projects. Others may choose to continue their research during school breaks or pursue opportunities for collaboration with other educators or researchers.