Why do the balloons approach each other?

• Thread starter jaumzaum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Approach
In summary, the conversation discusses the interaction between two balloons when air is blown in between them. The person's initial thinking was that the balloons would distance from each other due to an increase in pressure in the middle, but this was found to be incorrect. The use of Bernoulli's principle was also explored, which explains how the flow of air between the balloons draws them together due to a reduction in pressure.
jaumzaum
I was solving a question from an entrance exam that said the following:
Consider 2 balloons very close to each other. A person blows air in the place at the middle of the 2 balloons. What happens with them?

The answer is that they approach each other, but why? For me, the blow will increase the pressure in the middle of the balloons, that will be greater than the one in the other side, creating a net force that will distance the balloons. What is wrong with this thinking? I tried to use Bernoulli on this one but as I was told, Bernoulli only can be used in the same current line, and I got no response.

Thank you very much!
Joao

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes Greg Bernhardt and dextercioby
The air tends to follow a convex surface if the speed of the flow and radius of curvature are not excessive. This means the flow is separated on the downwind side of the two balloons, which reduces the pressure. This reduction in pressure affects the flow upwind of the separation. This effect, combined with Bernoulli effect, draws the balloons together.

Likes HallsofIvy

1. Why do the balloons approach each other?

Balloons approach each other due to the principle of buoyancy. When a balloon is filled with helium or hot air, it becomes less dense than the surrounding air and is pushed upwards. As the balloons rise, they encounter air currents that may cause them to move towards each other.

2. Is there a specific distance at which the balloons will start approaching each other?

There is no specific distance at which the balloons will start approaching each other. The distance at which the balloons approach each other depends on various factors such as the size and weight of the balloons, the amount of helium or hot air inside them, and the strength of the air currents.

3. Can the balloons approach each other without any external force?

No, the balloons cannot approach each other without any external force. The principle of buoyancy and the presence of air currents are external forces that cause the balloons to approach each other.

4. Do different types of balloons approach each other differently?

Yes, different types of balloons approach each other differently. Balloons filled with different gases, such as helium or hot air, will have different densities and will therefore behave differently in the air. Additionally, the shape and size of the balloons can also affect how they approach each other.

5. Can the balloons stop approaching each other once they start?

Yes, the balloons can stop approaching each other once they start. This can happen if the air currents change or if the balloons reach an area with no air currents. Additionally, if the balloons reach a certain altitude where the air density is equal to their own, they will stop rising and approaching each other.