1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do these terms vanish in this solution?

1. Sep 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I was given this problem as homework and managed to find the solution online, but I don't fully understand it.

ANoeS.jpg

My only question, and the reason I was getting this problem wrong, is because I wasn't realizing that the functions evaluated from -∞ to +∞ were vanishing. Is this a concept from calculus I'm not understanding or is this related somehow to a QM postulate or something?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2012 #2
    Re: Why does these terms vanish in this solution?

That condition is just a physicality condition on f. f is a wave function so the physical interpretation of this is that any wave function or derivatives of wave functions must vanish or be zero at infinity. Its kind of like an electric field due to a charge source being zero really far away from the charge source. Its a simplifying assumption.

4. Sep 27, 2012 #3
    Re: Why does these terms vanish in this solution?

Ah, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook