Why do three 25W bulbs in series show only 12W total?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter senorbrown
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Lights Series
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
senorbrown
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I need some help with a formula, I am constructing some aids for a class room demonstration on basic electricity. I am using lights to demonstrate series and parallel cicuits, also trying to explain some of the basic laws. My question, If I hook three 25 watt bulbs in series with a supply voltage of 123 VAC the displayed wattage (under power) is about 12 watts (I am using a meter). I would like to explain using an appropriate formula but I don't know how.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I am using a watt meter that allows me to select either Volts, Amps, Watts, or KWHR. It is AC.
 
Hes asking between which nodes did you connect the multimeter
 
If the resistance did not change with temperature (But, it does.) due to the current through it, then the resistance of the three bulbs in series would be 3 times the resistance of one bulb. The power (given by P=V^2/R) would be
25/3=8 Watts. You read 12 Watts (>8), because there is 1/3 the current through each bulb. They stay cool and have a smaller resistance than a hot bulb.
 
Meir Achuz said:
If the resistance did not change with temperature (But, it does.) due to the current through it, then the resistance of the three bulbs in series would be 3 times the resistance of one bulb. The power (given by P=V^2/R) would be
25/3=8 Watts. You read 12 Watts (>8), because there is 1/3 the current through each bulb. They stay cool and have a smaller resistance than a hot bulb.

The bulbs are in series, they all take the same current.

[tex]P_{res} = IV = \frac{V^2}{R} = I^2R[/tex]