Why Do Tof Mass Spectrometers Have Unlimited m/z Range?

  • Thread starter Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
gravenewworld
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
27
Why is it that time of flight mass spectrometers have basically an unlimited range of m/z values that they can analyze? I have looked, but can not find a definitive answer.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Maybe this can be moved to a physics or engineering forum since it seems we don't have any analytical chemists?
 
This looks suspiciously like homework. Maybe it is, and maybe it isn't. If it is, we do want to see you take a stab at it. If it isn't, I, at least, still want you to take a stab at it.

What are the relationships between mass and instrument output signals for TOF and other types of mass spectrometry?
 
Homework no, curiosity yes. If this were homework it probably would have been overdue by now. What I do know about mass spec

-m/z range <2000 for quadrapole mass detector
-m/z range for quad. ion-trap is <6000

I know m/z for TOF can be calculated by t^2/(d^2/2Ve)
 
Mass is proportional to "time of flight" squared. Compared to "mass is proportional to the inverse of the accelerating potential" for a Dempster type mass spec, do you see any advantages when you consider the resolutions and uncertainties in measurements of time and electric potential?
 
Ah why didn't this hit me over the head before? You only have to measure the time it takes for a substance to travel a fixed distance with fixed potential. Then you can simply find m.

Dempster type mass spec

I am not familiar with this type of mass spec.

BTW, the reason I asked this question is because we have TOF mass specs at the pharm company where I work (I do medicinal chem). I just always wondered how they worked. I assume they use them to measure proteins etc. since they usually have large mws.
 
"Dempster" is the beast that bends flight paths through a magnetic field.
 
Why is it that time of flight mass spectrometers have basically an unlimited range of m/z values that they can analyze? I have looked, but can not find a definitive answer.
certainly not the best of the mass spectrometers in relevance to precision and accuracy;currently on a lab session based of TOF, it's not the most convenient instrument to use of the mass spectrometers.