1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do US lamp parts use an "IP" thread ?

1. Jul 7, 2016 #1

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Is there a reason (other than tradition) why lamps in the USA use threaded tubing that has an "IP" thread standard ?

Does Europe have a better approach ?

I find it irritating that the nuts and connectors in the main part of local hardware stores don't fit the threaded tubing in lamps. You have to shop in the "lamp parts" section of the store and the nuts and connectors there are (to me) inconveniently small and delicate.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

My belief is that this, like many such things, was done for a very simple reason. Money. If the manufacturers used standard parts, you could buy them from just anyone. This way you have to buy purpose-made parts and they make a bit of money on it. That's probably no longer true in that there are likely now many sources for such parts, but that's my belief about why it started that way.

4. Jul 8, 2016 #3
    The threads are straight pipe threads. Most pipe threads you encounter (like in plumbing) are tapered. I read somewhere that electric lamps use the straight threads (and the pitches) originally used in the gas pipes in the gas lamp days. Presumably that made the customer's lives easier in 1910 or thereabouts.

5. Jul 10, 2016 #4

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Historical accident" is the common answer to many such questions. And it is a very good reason. Consider the benefits of changing such a standard compared to the costs. Only rarely do the benefits outweigh the costs.

My pet peeve is the arbitrary choice that Benjamin Franklin made about which polarity of electric charge was called "positive". I wager that one million years from now, physicists will still be using Franklin's convention.

6. Jul 10, 2016 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

And cussing all the while.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted