Why do vacuum and the air behave so similarly ?

In summary, while media-dependent constants like permeability, permittivity, and the speed of light may be similar in both vacuum and the atmosphere of the Earth, there are significant differences between the two. These differences include the presence of molecules in the atmosphere, which can affect the behavior of light. In some cases, these differences may not be noticeable, but in highly sensitive measurements, they can play a significant role. It is important to consider these differences and not assume that vacuum values can always be applied to other media.
aaeushsingh
I may be in the dark here but many of the media-dependent constants like permeability, permittivity and even the speed of light are ALMOST identical in both media ie. vacuum and the atmosphere of the Earth. This exists even though the 2 are very different because one is almost empty and the other is filled all kinds of atoms and molecules, has definite volume and mass too.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
your thoughts ?

Physics news on Phys.org
aaeushsingh said:
I may be in the dark here but many of the media-dependent constants like permeability, permittivity and even the speed of light are ALMOST identical in both media ie. vacuum and the atmosphere of the Earth. This exists even though the 2 are very different because one is almost empty and the other is filled all kinds of atoms and molecules, has definite volume and mass too.
your thoughts ?

If you are in NY, and you want to know how long it will take to drive to, say, Schaumburg, IL, which is the suburb of Chicago, will it make any difference that someone tells you the distance between NY and Chicago (which is about 780 miles)? Will the extra few miles from Chicago to Schaumburg, IL makes any significant difference to the overtime travel time of your travel?

Here's what you can do. Make a table of all the common media, and list out their corresponding permittivitty (and permeability as well if you want to be complete). Now look at the difference between air-vacuum versus, say water-vacuum, glass-vacuum, etc... There are MANY instances where your instrument cannot tell the difference (i.e. they are either not accurate enough, or not sensitive enough) to detect the difference. In such a case, it really doesn't matter which one you use, so why not just assume vacuum values?

Note that in many physics research, this difference will start to matter, because they are making highly sensitive measurements. In some instances, even variation in air density with height, and even wind movement will come into play (know why stars twinkle?).

Zz.

aaeushsingh said:
your thoughts ?
It is misleading to say that the atmosphere is "filled with all kinds of atoms". It depends on how light would interact with them. A particle which has no electrical charge, like a neutrino, has very little chance of interacting with anything. 100 trillion neutrinos go unimpeded through your body every second. So the term "filled with atoms" is misleading. There is practically no chance of a particle actually hitting an atom unless it is attracted to it.

There are so many significant differences between air and vacuum: blue and red sky depend on air and you have to go hundreds of km above the Earth's surface before the effect of drag on satellites can be ignored.
The only similarity is that you can 'see' through them both and even that is just a matter of degree.

Also, only about 0.1-0.2% of the volume of air is actually filled with molecules. Air acts a lot like empty space because it's a lot like empty space.

1. Why do objects fall at the same rate in a vacuum and in the air?

In a vacuum, there is no air resistance to slow down the falling object. In the air, the force of gravity is countered by the force of air resistance, making the object fall at a slower rate. However, in both cases, the force of gravity is the same, so the object still falls at the same rate.

2. How do vacuums and air pressure relate to each other?

Vacuums and air pressure are inversely related. In a vacuum, there is no air, so there is no air pressure. In contrast, in an area with high air pressure, there is a lot of air molecules packed closely together. This is because air molecules move from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure, creating a balance.

3. Why do vacuums and air have similar properties?

Vacuums and air have similar properties because air is made up of different gases, such as nitrogen, oxygen, and carbon dioxide. In a vacuum, there is no air, but there are still particles present, such as atoms and molecules. These particles behave in a similar way to the particles in air, resulting in similar properties.

4. What happens to sound in a vacuum compared to in the air?

In a vacuum, sound cannot travel because there are no molecules to vibrate and transmit the sound waves. In air, sound travels as the sound waves cause the air molecules to vibrate and pass the sound along. This is why sound cannot be heard in space, where there is a vacuum.

5. How does air pressure affect the boiling point of liquids compared to in a vacuum?

At higher altitudes where the air pressure is lower, the boiling point of liquids is also lower. This is because the air pressure affects the rate at which molecules escape from the liquid, causing it to boil at a lower temperature. In a vacuum, there is no air pressure to affect the boiling point, so liquids can boil at much lower temperatures.