Why Do We Multiply Numerator & Denominator When Multiplying Fractions?

• Thread starter bballwaterboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractions
In summary, when multiplying fractions, we do not need a common denominator because we are not dealing with addition or subtraction. Instead, we are dealing with finding a unit of measurement that is a multiple of both fractions, and then multiplying the resulting fractions together. This approach ensures that the final answer is in line with physical reality. Additionally, the reason for using a common denominator in addition is to utilize the distributive law, which is not applicable in multiplication.
bballwaterboy
This is kind of a "dumb" question, but why do we multiply the numerators and denominators when multiplying fractions? For example:

1/5 x 2/3 = 2/15

Intuitively, I know why we need a common denominator when adding and subtracting fractions. We need to add apples to apples and oranges to oranges for it to logically make sense. But why do we suddenly not need a common denominator when multiplying fractions? :confused: Wouldn't the same analogy apply here? Don't we need to do an apples to apples kind of operation?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
bballwaterboy said:
This is kind of a "dumb" question, but why do we multiply the numerators and denominators when multiplying fractions? For example:

1/5 x 2/3 = 2/15

Intuitively, I know why we need a common denominator when adding and subtracting fractions. We need to add apples to apples and oranges to oranges for it to logically make sense. But why do we suddenly not need a common denominator when multiplying fractions? :confused: Wouldn't the same analogy apply here? Don't we need to do an apples to apples kind of operation?

Let's make a slightly easier problem, namely 1/5 X 1/3. Your problem is only a bit harder.

Imagine a pie cut into three large pieces, two of which have already been eaten, so that we have 1/3 of the pie. If we want to divide this piece of pie among five people equally, what fraction of the pie will each get? I'm using the idea that dividing by 5 is the same as multiplying by 1/5.

There are many different forms for the fraction 1/3, such as 2/6, 3/9, and so on. A form with a 5 in the numerator would be helpful - 5/15 would be a good choice. So one-fifth of 5/15 would be 1/15. After doing many such problems, you might get the idea that the answer could have been calculated more quickly simply by multiplying the numerators (getting 1) and the denominators (getting 15).

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
There are many different forms for the fraction 1/3, such as 2/6, 3/92, and so on.

I think you typo'd an extra "2" there.

It's fixed now. I originally wrote 3/12, and neglected to get rid of the 2 when I changed the fraction to 3/9. Thanks for the correction!

bballwaterboy said:
This is kind of a "dumb" question, but why do we multiply the numerators and denominators when multiplying fractions?
The most persuasive reason for doing it that way: so that you get the right answer! Do it any other way, and the answer won't agree with physical reality. No, I'm not kidding!

One way to look at it is that the denominator of a fraction is a "unit". Just as saying the length of a line segment is "3 meters" means that I am using "meter" as my unit of length and the line segment is three of them, so the fraction "3/4" means that we are dealing with units of "one fourth" and we have three of them.

So just as a rectangle with sides "3 meters" and "5 meters" has area "15 square meters" or "15 m^2" so the fraction "3/4= 3 fourths" multiplied by the fraction "3/5= 3 fifths" is 9 (fourths x fifths)= 9/20.

bballwaterboy said:

1/5 x 2/3 = 2/15

It's not a dumb question at all. This is one way of looking at it: 1/5 is by definition the real number x such that 5x=1. 1/3 is defined similarly. 2/3 should be interpreted as ##2\cdot\frac{1}{3}##. To multiply the fractions 1/5 and 2/3 is to solve the equation ##\frac 1 5 \cdot \frac 2 3 =x##. If you multiply both sides by 5, you get ##\frac{2}{3}=5x##. If you multiply both sides of that by 3, you get 2=3·5·x. If you multiply both sides of that by ##\frac{1}{3\cdot 5}##, you get ##\frac{2\cdot 1}{3\cdot 5}=x##.

You also asked about the common denominator when we're doing addition. I would say that the reason is that we would like to use the distributive law: a(b+c)=ab+ac. If we see a sum ab+ac with a common factor (in this case a) in both terms, the distributive law tells us that we can rewrite the sum as a(b+c). The point of rewriting ##\frac 2 3+\frac 4 5## with a common denominator is that it enables us to identify a common factor in each term:
\begin{align}
&\frac 2 3+\frac 4 5 =\frac 2 3\cdot 1+\frac 4 5\cdot 1 =\frac 2 3\cdot \frac 5 5 +\frac 4 5\cdot\frac 3 3 =\frac{2\cdot 5}{3\cdot 5}+\frac{4\cdot 3}{5\cdot 3}\\
& =\frac{1}{15}\cdot 10+\frac{1}{15}\cdot 12 =\frac{1}{15}(10+12)=\frac{1}{15}{24}=\frac{24}{15}.
\end{align} The first calculation I did shows that we don't need a common denominator when we multiply fractions. The second calculation should explain why: The distributive law is used only when both addition and multiplication are involved.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the examples. I do have something to ask and follow-up on, but will write back this weekend. Need to cram for a quiz today (not in math though)!

It's odd, though, how a simple math concept can be so confusing at times. I'll write back more once I get the chance. Thanks for now everyone!

Put my post back!

1. Why do we need to multiply the numerator and denominator when multiplying fractions?

When multiplying fractions, we are essentially finding the product of two quantities represented by the fractions. In order to accurately find this product, we need to ensure that both the numerator and denominator are multiplied by the same number.

2. How does multiplying the numerator and denominator affect the value of a fraction?

Multiplying the numerator and denominator by the same number does not change the value of the fraction. This is because we are essentially multiplying the fraction by 1, which does not change its value.

3. Can we only multiply fractions by whole numbers?

No, we can also multiply fractions by other fractions. In fact, multiplying fractions by fractions can be thought of as finding the product of two ratios.

4. Is there a specific order in which we should multiply fractions?

No, there is no specific order in which we should multiply fractions. However, it is important to ensure that both the numerator and denominator are multiplied by the same number in order to find the correct product.

5. Can we simplify the fraction before or after multiplying the numerator and denominator?

Yes, we can simplify the fraction before or after multiplying the numerator and denominator. Simplifying the fraction can help us to find the simplest form of the product, but it does not change the fact that both the numerator and denominator must be multiplied by the same number when multiplying fractions.