What's the logic behind partial fraction decomposition?

In summary, in partial fraction decomposition, the goal is to write a rational function as a sum of simpler fractions with a common denominator. This is done by finding constants that satisfy certain equations when multiplied by the original polynomial. When dealing with repeated roots, all powers of the root must be included in the expansion in order to have enough constants to adapt the polynomial. And when dealing with irreducible factors, the numerator must have the form (Ax+B) rather than just "A" in order to match the degree of the denominator.
A.MHF
Ok so I took partial fraction decomposition in Calc II, and now I'm taking it again in Differential Equations course. The problem is that I don't really understand what I'm doing.
I understand the procedure when having simple real roots, for example

2x+1/(x+1)(x+2), it becomes A/(x+1) + B/(x+2)
Because multiplying the two would get us a common denominator of (x+1)(x+2), which is what we want.

But I don't understand why when having repeated roots we have to include all the powers in the expansion?
For example:

2x+1/(x+1)^3= A/(x+1)+ B/(x+1)^2 + C/(x+1)^3

Also, when having irreducible factor we have to put (Ax+B) in the numerator instead of just "A".
Can someone help me understand what's going on here?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It is a matter of having enough constants available to adapt the polynomial you obtain when putting everything with a common denominator to the original polynomial.

The logic in writing (2x+ 1)/(x+ 1)(x+ 2) as A/(x+ 1)+ B/(x+ 2) (Note the parentheses. This is NOT "2x+ 1/(x+1)(x+2)" which cannot be written in that form) is the other way:

A/(x+ 1)+ B/(x+ 2)= [A(x+ 2)]/(x+1)x+2)+ [B(x+ 1)]/(x+ 1)(x+ 2)= (Ax+ 2A+ Bx+ B)/(x+ 1)(x+ 2)= [(A+ B)x+ (2A+ N)]/(x+1)(x+2) which will be equal to (2+ 1)/(x+1)(x+2) as long as A+ B= 2 and 2A+ B= 1. And, of course, A= -1, B= 3 satisfy tose.

Related to What's the logic behind partial fraction decomposition?

What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a method used in mathematics to decompose a rational function into simpler fractions. It involves breaking down a fraction into its constituent parts, with each part having a simpler denominator.

Why is partial fraction decomposition useful?

Partial fraction decomposition is useful in solving integrals, differential equations, and other mathematical problems that involve rational functions. It can also help simplify complex algebraic expressions and make them easier to work with.

What is the logic behind partial fraction decomposition?

The logic behind partial fraction decomposition is based on the fundamental theorem of algebra, which states that any polynomial of degree n can be factored into n linear factors. By breaking down a rational function into simpler fractions, we can use this theorem to solve for the unknown coefficients and simplify the overall expression.

How do you perform partial fraction decomposition?

The steps for performing partial fraction decomposition are as follows:

1. Factor the denominator of the rational function into linear and irreducible quadratic factors.
  2. Write the partial fraction decomposition with each factor as a separate fraction.
  3. Set up a system of equations by equating the coefficients of the simplified fractions to the original rational function.
  4. Solve the system of equations to find the values of the unknown coefficients.
  5. Rewrite the original rational function using the values of the unknown coefficients.

Are there any limitations to partial fraction decomposition?

Yes, there are limitations to partial fraction decomposition. It can only be applied to rational functions, and the denominator must be factorable into linear and irreducible quadratic factors. Additionally, some rational functions may not have a unique partial fraction decomposition, and in these cases, the method may not be applicable.