What's the logic behind partial fraction decomposition?

• Thread starter A.MHF
  • Start date
Ok so I took partial fraction decomposition in Calc II, and now I'm taking it again in Differential Equations course. The problem is that I don't really understand what I'm doing.
I understand the procedure when having simple real roots, for example

2x+1/(x+1)(x+2), it becomes A/(x+1) + B/(x+2)
Because multiplying the two would get us a common denominator of (x+1)(x+2), which is what we want.

But I don't understand why when having repeated roots we have to include all the powers in the expansion?
For example:

2x+1/(x+1)^3= A/(x+1)+ B/(x+1)^2 + C/(x+1)^3

Also, when having irreducible factor we have to put (Ax+B) in the numerator instead of just "A".
Can someone help me understand what's going on here?

Thanks.

Answers and Replies

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
It is a matter of having enough constants available to adapt the polynomial you obtain when putting everything with a common denominator to the original polynomial.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The logic in writing (2x+ 1)/(x+ 1)(x+ 2) as A/(x+ 1)+ B/(x+ 2) (Note the parentheses. This is NOT "2x+ 1/(x+1)(x+2)" which cannot be written in that form) is the other way:

A/(x+ 1)+ B/(x+ 2)= [A(x+ 2)]/(x+1)x+2)+ [B(x+ 1)]/(x+ 1)(x+ 2)= (Ax+ 2A+ Bx+ B)/(x+ 1)(x+ 2)= [(A+ B)x+ (2A+ N)]/(x+1)(x+2) which will be equal to (2+ 1)/(x+1)(x+2) as long as A+ B= 2 and 2A+ B= 1. And, of course, A= -1, B= 3 satisfy tose.