What makes physics so fascinating and appealing?

In summary: Earlier point in your life?In summary, In physics, there are all kinds of interesting questions that come from a knowledge of science, which only adds to the excitement and mystery and awe.
"I like that the more you understand, the more there is for you to understand!
And the look of disgust people give when you tell them that you love Physics :)"

I totally agree with the first part. I think it has everything to do with the fact that physics is the fundamental branch of the causes of everything in the universe. Without the knowledge of physics, it is very hard to understand anything else, unless you spend a bunch of time on it and memorize so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's because of all the degrees, physics is the biggest bang for your buck. I was studying biotechnology first (before physics), but left for physics because I felt that it was necessary to study before studying any of the other sciences. This is something that I still feel today, that if you are to study biology or chemistry, I feel it's better to start off with a physics degree before going any further in specialization. You feel the power of your discipline everytime you study it. It's truly getting closer to nature and god on a fundamental level, and you on a daily basis see clearly how it's making you a better person all the while.As my statistical mechanics professor used to say (or echo rather..), "Physics is a liberal arts degree in a technological world."

It is very theoretical to become more associated with science by starting out with physics and then chemistry and moving on to other sciences, however, most people just cannot understand physics, but love working with biology, psychology or even physiology, etc. Plus, those who are actually able to handle the understanding of physics and become proficient in the subject are more likely to treat physics as their primary focus of study or a job like us and might...just might consider biology or psychology as a hobby of some sort. I believe it is smartest to start with physics, but that may require an understanding of other sciences first that will have expanded the capacity to handle physics.

I know what you're saying and agree to an extent, however, it's not entirely theoretical to start physics first (not that you were saying that, but people who read "very theoretical" might confuse it as meaning "the practical reasons for doing physics first are irrelevant by comparison to the theoretical reasons for doing so"). In fact, it was an issue of practicality for me. Nature does not care that we group the subjects as "physics biology and chemistry" and if physics is necessary for the understanding of something in biology than so be it, there are no short cuts. It was when a biotechnology professor of mine could not exactly explain why osmosis of the cell membrane occurs that I decided that physics was probably a better starting point. Now I know that this is a case of "well you didn't need to know exactly how it works to use the concept of diffusion across the membrane", but there are certainly cases where this is not so. Also there are certain advantages of knowing how the thing actually works, and of course mathematically understanding the phenomena often leads to more information that was otherwise unlikely to be discovered (a biologist could only empirically derive mathematical relationships to things like diffusion).

Also I'm grouping physics with "a better understanding of mathematics than just a study in biology/chemistry", I guess I should have started with that..

dydxforsn said:
I feel it's better to start off with a physics degree before going any further in specialization. You feel the power of your discipline everytime you study it.

It's all that atom-smashing.

I took it in college and enjoyed it so much I seriously considered switching majors. At that time, though, physicists usually had to pile it on higher and deeper while engineers graduated and got real jobs.

Have times changed? Wikipedia says "a majority of those in the private sections having a physics degree actually work outside the fields of physics, astronomy and engineering altogether." However, it also references this table for its "source:" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physicist

The source doesn't support the claim.

I like understanding how things work inside out. Physics gives this satisfaction of understanding things thoroughly. Also, I like how Physics relates to things I can grasp and interact with, unlike Math. For example, in life I interact with light and sound but not with equations, though I like understanding equations describe light and sound

Plus I like the beautiful Physics pictures.

Because physics I ak fundamental to everything else.

I'll tell you why I love physics (and chemistry and math).

Because, it takes s**t from no one. Once something is proved to be wrong its wrong (source Feynman). There is no play of emotion here.

Physics describes everything and it is the best subject ever! You have to think outside the box, but you also have to be very meticulous

I wish I had a love for physics. :(

Because the universe and existence as a whole is so freaking awesome and I want to know how it works on a deeper level.

I don't really have any 'deep' reason for liking maths and physics, I just like problem solving and finding out about how stuff works. Nature can be so weird and wonderful.

I'm interested in occult things. I don't know why.

ImaLooser said:
I'm interested in occult things. I don't know why.

The Occult is concerned with knowledge that is hidden (or at least, that is the idea).

A lot of the stuff done in science is concerned with knowledge discovery of things that are not hidden and existing in plain observation (although certain phenomena may need other devices like radio telescopes and other similar equipment).

Going into science might be a supplement to look at traditional occultist teachings, but it is not the same thing.

Science usually concerns itself with stuff that can be observed.

Also I would recommend that like anything, you think long and hard about getting into things that you do not understand.

chiro said:
The Occult is concerned with knowledge that is hidden (or at least, that is the idea).

A lot of the stuff done in science is concerned with knowledge discovery of things that are not hidden and existing in plain observation (although certain phenomena may need other devices like radio telescopes and other similar equipment).

Going into science might be a supplement to look at traditional occultist teachings, but it is not the same thing.

Science usually concerns itself with stuff that can be observed.

Also I would recommend that like anything, you think long and hard about getting into things that you do not understand.

Right. Most of physics is about unseen forces. Some of them take very specialized equipment to observe. Hidden. Occult.

ImaLooser said:
Right. Most of physics is about unseen forces. Some of them take very specialized equipment to observe. Hidden. Occult.

I still don't think you are making a characterization of the real occult teachings.

The typical occult teachings talk about things that are not as narrow and specific that is covered in the sciences.

The occult doesn't cover things in a scientific way in a way that has the kind of scientific basis that electro-magnetism, the strong force, or longitudinal/transverse wave phenomena.

It deals with things that are completely different in terms of the scope and also in terms of the application that science deals with and unsurprisingly, a lot of scientists don't know (or want to know) about the occult.

Issaac Newton was one scientists who was into occultic (and also biblical) teachings, but he was according to history, a mathematician and natural scientist.

Part of the hidden aspect is not just about the actual detection of said information, but also the process that is involved with that information.

This again relates to the scope and focus of the two subjects and it is a primary reason why a lot of scientists refuse to even acknowledge occultist teachings whether they are true in part or not.

Also a lot of what natural scientists study is observable and not hidden with the sensory apparatus that they have.

I'll just leave with a thought that even though things can be observed (even with instruments like radio telescopes), the actual real meaning and attributes of the process at a high level will be neglected in a framework that puts all its focus on a narrow spectrum that trades off the larger picture with contextually rich detail for the much lower level picture that is a lot more analytically specific.

I don't know if I love it, but it just seems to fit me. I'm prone to abstractions and analyzing stuff and I have poor social skills. I find it soothing more than anything else. Yes, that's the right word.

I like simpler physics like SR, how they describe the mechanics of what I see/experience everyday.

So few people have that perspective, which adds a certain... exclusivity of sorts.

While there is ZERO "practical" use of this perspective for me, I find it desirable to know what is known is this field/area.

I love physics because babes dig physicists.

jam.muskopf said:
I love physics because babes dig physicists.
Yes. Physics is all about the fame , the money and the women.

I don't love physics. My feelings are very objective for physics. We're in a business arrangement, not a marriage. I'm allowed to fool around with neuroscience, who I have feelings for.

Physics is basically neuroscience's dad, and while I don't care about his blessing, I don't necessarily want to contradict him.

bp_psy said:
Yes. Physics is all about the fame , the money and the women.

Yeah, that's where all the grant money goes. We just fake the results. It's an Illuminati thing.

I really love Physics because everything is explained solely by logic. There is no prejudice, no preconceived ideas, nothing based on one's own opinion, and everything is beautifully brought together in order to make sense as a whole. The fact that it can sometimes be counter-intuitive also fascinates me as it makes me see the world in a different way, and I feel an immense satisfaction when I ponder over something or learn something new and I end up saying to myself "Then that's why this happens!".

The same applies to Mathematics, although in this case it's its abstract component that's so delightful. A mathematical reasoning (whether it's applied to Physics or Mathematics) seems inexplicably beautiful to me. Both Mathematics and Physics also originate philosophical questioning and doubting.

Living an existence that appears to be meaningless to me, Mathematics and Physics are two of the few things that actually make me smile.