Why do you love physics?

I like understanding how things work inside out. Physics gives this satisfaction of understanding things thoroughly. Also, I like how Physics relates to things I can grasp and interact with, unlike Math. For example, in life I interact with light and sound but not with equations, though I like understanding equations describe light and sound

Plus I like the beautiful Physics pictures.

Pythagorean
Gold Member
Because physics I ak fundamental to everything else.

I'll tell you why I love physics (and chemistry and math).

Because, it takes s**t from no one. Once something is proved to be wrong its wrong (source Feynman). There is no play of emotion here.

lordofthering
Physics describes everything and it is the best subject ever!! You have to think outside the box, but you also have to be very meticulous

I wish I had a love for physics. :(

Because the universe and existence as a whole is so freaking awesome and I want to know how it works on a deeper level.

I don't really have any 'deep' reason for liking maths and physics, I just like problem solving and finding out about how stuff works. Nature can be so weird and wonderful.

I'm interested in occult things. I dunno why.

chiro
Science Advisor
I'm interested in occult things. I dunno why.
The Occult is concerned with knowledge that is hidden (or at least, that is the idea).

A lot of the stuff done in science is concerned with knowledge discovery of things that are not hidden and existing in plain observation (although certain phenomena may need other devices like radio telescopes and other similar equipment).

Going into science might be a supplement to look at traditional occultist teachings, but it is not the same thing.

Science usually concerns itself with stuff that can be observed.

Also I would recommend that like anything, you think long and hard about getting into things that you do not understand.

The Occult is concerned with knowledge that is hidden (or at least, that is the idea).

A lot of the stuff done in science is concerned with knowledge discovery of things that are not hidden and existing in plain observation (although certain phenomena may need other devices like radio telescopes and other similar equipment).

Going into science might be a supplement to look at traditional occultist teachings, but it is not the same thing.

Science usually concerns itself with stuff that can be observed.

Also I would recommend that like anything, you think long and hard about getting into things that you do not understand.
Right. Most of physics is about unseen forces. Some of them take very specialized equipment to observe. Hidden. Occult.

chiro
Science Advisor
Right. Most of physics is about unseen forces. Some of them take very specialized equipment to observe. Hidden. Occult.
I still don't think you are making a characterization of the real occult teachings.

The typical occult teachings talk about things that are not as narrow and specific that is covered in the sciences.

The occult doesn't cover things in a scientific way in a way that has the kind of scientific basis that electro-magnetism, the strong force, or longitudinal/transverse wave phenomena.

It deals with things that are completely different in terms of the scope and also in terms of the application that science deals with and unsurprisingly, a lot of scientists don't know (or want to know) about the occult.

Issaac Newton was one scientists who was into occultic (and also biblical) teachings, but he was according to history, a mathematician and natural scientist.

Part of the hidden aspect is not just about the actual detection of said information, but also the process that is involved with that information.

This again relates to the scope and focus of the two subjects and it is a primary reason why a lot of scientists refuse to even acknowledge occultist teachings whether they are true in part or not.

Also a lot of what natural scientists study is observable and not hidden with the sensory apparatus that they have.

I'll just leave with a thought that even though things can be observed (even with instruments like radio telescopes), the actual real meaning and attributes of the process at a high level will be neglected in a framework that puts all its focus on a narrow spectrum that trades off the larger picture with contextually rich detail for the much lower level picture that is a lot more analytically specific.

I don't know if I love it, but it just seems to fit me. I'm prone to abstractions and analyzing stuff and I have poor social skills. I find it soothing more than anything else. Yes, that's the right word.

I like simpler physics like SR, how they describe the mechanics of what I see/experience everyday.

So few people have that perspective, which adds a certain... exclusivity of sorts.

While there is ZERO "practical" use of this perspective for me, I find it desirable to know what is known is this field/area.

I love physics because babes dig physicists.

I love physics because babes dig physicists.
Yes. Physics is all about the fame , the money and the women.

Pythagorean
Gold Member
I don't love physics. My feelings are very objective for physics. We're in a business arrangement, not a marriage. I'm allowed to fool around with neuroscience, who I have feelings for.

Pythagorean
Gold Member
Physics is basically neuroscience's dad, and while I don't care about his blessing, I don't necessarily want to contradict him.

Yes. Physics is all about the fame , the money and the women.
Yeah, that's where all the grant money goes. We just fake the results. It's an Illuminati thing.

rppc
I really love Physics because everything is explained solely by logic. There is no prejudice, no preconceived ideas, nothing based on one's own opinion, and everything is beautifully brought together in order to make sense as a whole. The fact that it can sometimes be counter-intuitive also fascinates me as it makes me see the world in a different way, and I feel an immense satisfaction when I ponder over something or learn something new and I end up saying to myself "Then that's why this happens!".

The same applies to Mathematics, although in this case it's its abstract component that's so delightful. A mathematical reasoning (whether it's applied to Physics or Mathematics) seems inexplicably beautiful to me. Both Mathematics and Physics also originate philosophical questioning and doubting.

Living an existence that appears to be meaningless to me, Mathematics and Physics are two of the few things that actually make me smile.