Why does a ball rebounds more over the edges?

• Thread starter kushubham9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, the ball rebounds more when it rebounds on the edge of a table than when it rebounds on the same table, because the edge gives a higher stress to the ball.
kushubham9
Hello,
I need an explanation for this demo.
When a ball falls on a table, it rebounds to a certain height,, but when it falls on the edge of the same table, it rebounds to a much greater height.. What are the factors responsible for the re-bounce?
How does area of impact effect it?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the table and the ball were rigid bodies, bounce would be the same. In this case, I suspect that the middle of your table has less stiffness and more ability to absorb energy. Another table may behave differently.

kushubham9 said:
Hello,
I need an explanation for this demo.
When a ball falls on a table, it rebounds to a certain height,, but when it falls on the edge of the same table, it rebounds to a much greater height.. What are the factors responsible for the re-bounce?
How does area of impact effect it?

Does it actually bounce to a greater height?

Andy Resnick said:
Does it actually bounce to a greater height?

That occurred to me, too. It may go shooting off to the side but not actually get any higher. More description of the actual experiment is needed for a good (suggested) answer. Did you try it on concrete?

Just establishing what I anticipate to be an enriching opportunity in tenure of the scientifically literate cognoscenti. (This is my first post in this entire forums.) xD

Bearing in mind that I do not specialize in any means of physics, I suppose I may qualify for the approval of various hypotheses of which have so happened to randomly wander past the reactionary consciousness of my brain to the general community at hand.

Assuming that you were speaking specifically in terms of distance per the trajectory of the ball as apart from angle, velocity, height etc., I would postulate that the ball travels further simply owing to the fact that the exertion of gravity has less of a hold on parabolic arcs whereas the pull of gravity is potentially maximized whence the ball strikes perpendicular along a surface parallel to the ground. To provide a schematic reference, perhaps you should consider the analogy of a triangular array so fashioned as to acknowledge the coherence of physical transmogrification of the comprehensibility pertaining to the whole of science. Applying the concept of a right-angled triangle, the ball, as reciprocated from the edge of contact, would traverse greater distance along the hypotenuse than any other side, eschewing the complexification of transitioning states along with any other changing factors indifferent to the element of gravitational mediation. The force of gravity is constant, but the ball still ventures further out when it rebounds at an angle than if it were simply to ricochet orthogonally on the plane of reception.

Again, hello everyone (in the name of science).

Its the pressure that did the job. Bouncing on a flat surface gives an equal stress on the ball. When you did it on the edges, you give a higher stress on a particular point. the ball get compressed more than on a flat surface, more energy is gained. For you information, you get the greatest bounce when the edge hits the ball at right angle at the middle of the ball :) .

1. Why does a ball bounce higher when it hits the edge of a surface?

When a ball hits the edge of a surface, it experiences a change in direction and momentum. This change in momentum causes the ball to deform, storing potential energy. As the ball leaves the surface, the potential energy is converted back into kinetic energy, resulting in a higher bounce.

2. Does the material of the surface affect how high the ball bounces off the edge?

Yes, the material of the surface can affect the bounce of a ball. Softer surfaces, like grass or carpet, will absorb more of the ball's energy, resulting in a lower bounce. Harder surfaces, like concrete or wood, will reflect more of the ball's energy, resulting in a higher bounce.

3. Can the angle of the surface's edge impact the rebound of the ball?

Yes, the angle of the surface's edge can impact the rebound of the ball. A sharper angle will result in a more direct change in direction and momentum, causing a higher bounce. A flatter angle will result in a less direct change in direction and momentum, causing a lower bounce.

4. How does air pressure affect the rebound of a ball off the edge of a surface?

Air pressure does not directly affect the rebound of a ball off the edge of a surface. However, air pressure can indirectly impact the bounce if it changes the elasticity of the ball. Higher air pressure will make the ball more rigid and result in a higher bounce, while lower air pressure will make the ball more flexible and result in a lower bounce.

5. Are there other factors that can affect how high a ball bounces off the edge of a surface?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the bounce of a ball off the edge of a surface. These include the size and shape of the ball, the surface texture, and any external forces acting on the ball, such as gravity or friction. The height from which the ball is dropped onto the surface can also impact the rebound.