A different bouncy ball question....

• Thread starter SHO-NUFF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, to bounce the ball up to a height of 1.03 m, you would need to drop it from a higher height. To bounce it from a given height and have it return to the exact height it was released from, you would need to calculate the difference in potential energy as I have shown above and apply that energy to the initial kinetic energy of the ball.
SHO-NUFF
So I've seen all over the internet about the efficiency of a bouncy ball and how high will it bounce on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. bounces? That's easy to figure out. Now I was thinking about it for a while and the question that hit me was how much energy do I need to add to the initial drop in order for the ball to return to the exact original height? I have a table that's 1.03 m high, the ball has a mass of 7.362 g and a density of 0.90 g/cm^3. The ball is bouncing off a concrete floor that, from what I can find, has a density of 2,400 kg/cm^3. The ball also take approximately 0.5 seconds to fall and impact the floor and approximately another 0.25 seconds to reach the height of the first bounce of about 0.835 m.

I'm not sure if all this information is all relevant but it's what I've observed by simply bouncing the ball a couple dozen times. Please someone help point me in the right direction here. Again, what I'm looking for is the amount of energy required to be added in order for the ball to return to the exact original drop height on the first bounce. I'm missing something, overthinking it, or both.

Physics news on Phys.org
Using an Earth constant gravity approximation, the height is proportional to the potential energy of the ball. If the ball height is 1.03m before the first bounce and 0.835m after the first bounce, the fraction of energy retained after a bounce is
0.835/1.03 = 0.811
So, to bounce up to a height of 1.03m, you need to drop it from a higher height
1.03m / 0.811 = 1.27m
The potential energy is mgh, so the extra energy to lift to 1.27m is
W = mg(1.27m-1.03m)
(You shouldn't round the quantities until the end.)

Khashishi,

Thanks for the tip on rounding. What if I wanted to bounce it from a given height (in this case 1.03 m) and have it return to the exact height it was released from though?

Calculate the difference in potential energy as I have shown above, and apply that energy to the initial kinetic energy of the ball.

Thanks for the help! My apologies for not getting the first time around. I'm new to physics.

1. What makes a bouncy ball different from a regular ball?

A bouncy ball is made of a highly elastic material, such as rubber or plastic, that allows it to bounce back to its original shape after being compressed. Regular balls, on the other hand, are usually made of materials that are not as elastic and do not bounce as high.

2. How high can a bouncy ball bounce?

The height a bouncy ball can bounce varies depending on its size, material, and the surface it is bouncing on. However, some bouncy balls can bounce up to 75% of their original height.

3. Can you make a bouncy ball at home?

Yes, you can make a bouncy ball at home using simple materials such as glue, borax, and cornstarch. There are many tutorials available online that provide step-by-step instructions on how to make a bouncy ball.

4. Are there different types of bouncy balls?

Yes, there are different types of bouncy balls that vary in size, material, and intended use. Some bouncy balls are designed for sports such as basketball or tennis, while others are made for children's play or as stress relievers.

5. How do bouncy balls work?

Bouncy balls work due to their high elasticity and ability to store energy when compressed. When the ball hits a surface, it deforms and stores some of the energy from the impact. The stored energy is then released, causing the ball to bounce back up. This process continues until the energy is fully dissipated.