Why Does a Car Lift Wheels During Sharp Turns?

In summary, when a car is traveling at high speeds and needs to make a sharp turn, the outer wheels lift off the ground. This is caused by the centrifugal force acting at the center of mass, pulling outward and creating a clockwise torque. The role of friction in this situation is to ensure the wheels do not slip and act as a pivot point.
semc
Hello, I believe we have seen that when a car is traveling in high speed and wants to make a sharp turn, the outer wheels actually sort of like lift of the ground right? What is the cause of this? I was thinking that it might have something to do with moments about the inner wheels? Its has something to do with the centripetal acceleration and the centre of gravity am i right? I can't seem to link them together:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the _inner_ wheels lift because of the centrifugal force acting at the center of mass is pulling outward.

I am drawing a picture where I am looking at the vehicle from the rear and the vehicle is curving to the left. The outer wheels act as a pivot and I am computing the torque about this pivot. Centrifugal force acts to the right at the center of mass which gives a clockwise torque . Gravity acts downward which gives a counter-acting counter-clockwise torque.

Oh so it doesn't have anything to do with the static friction between the tires and the ground?

Yes. The way I am thinking about it, the only role of friction is to enforce a non-slip pivot.

Related to Why Does a Car Lift Wheels During Sharp Turns?

1. Why does a car lift wheels during sharp turns?

During sharp turns, the car's weight shifts to one side, causing the wheels on that side to bear more weight. This weight shift reduces the amount of traction on the inside wheels, causing them to lift off the ground.

2. Is lifting wheels during sharp turns dangerous?

It can be dangerous if the car is lifted too high and loses control. However, modern cars are designed with advanced suspension systems to prevent excessive wheel lifting during turns.

3. Can the angle of the turn affect wheel lifting?

Yes, the sharper the turn, the more likely it is for the wheels to lift. This is due to the weight transfer being more drastic in sharper turns.

4. How does the type of car affect wheel lifting during turns?

The type of car can greatly affect wheel lifting during sharp turns. Cars with a higher center of gravity, such as SUVs, are more prone to wheel lifting compared to lower sports cars.

5. Can wheel lifting be prevented?

While it cannot be completely prevented, there are measures that can be taken to reduce the likelihood of wheel lifting during sharp turns. These include proper tire pressure, well-maintained suspension systems, and driving at appropriate speeds for the type of turn.