Why does Asin(kx−ωt) not satisfy the time-independent Schrödinger equation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Skullmonkee
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Skullmonkee
Messages
22
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Show that the function [tex]\Psi(x,t)=Asin(kx- \omega t)[/tex] does not satisfy the time-independent Schrödinger Equation.

Homework Equations


Time independet SE

The Attempt at a Solution


I think i have to solve for derivative of [tex]\Psi(x,t)/t[/tex] and second derivative of [tex]\Psi(x,t)/x[/tex] but I'm not sure how to answer the question.

I attempted to differentiate the wave function with respect to time and space so that i got
[tex]\partial\Psi(x,t)/\partial t = -\omega Acos(kx-\omegat)[/tex]
and that [tex]\partial^2\Psi(x,t)/\partial x^x = -kAsin(kx-\omegat)[/tex]

If so, how do i prove that the original function does not satisfy the TDSE?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The time-independent Schrödinger equation says Hψ = Eψ, where E is the eigenvalue. The Hamiltonian will tell you what to differentiate with respect to.