Why does friction remain constant with larger surface area?

In summary, frictional force is not affected by the area of contact between two surfaces according to the equation F=μN. This may seem counter-intuitive, as more area may seem to mean more interlocking and therefore more friction. However, for an object with a constant mass and deformable shape, a larger surface area does not result in a decrease in frictional force due to the distribution of gravity across the area.
takando12
My books and my teachers tell me that the frictional force is independent of the area of contact. I am also aware of the equation F=μN and that area has no part in it. But it's just so confusing and counter-intuitive.
Friction is because of the the interlocking of the irregularities of two surfaces (At least that's what i think it is). So doesn't more area mean , more interlocking and hence more friction?
Please do help me understand this.

Physics news on Phys.org
For an object whose mass is constant and shape can be deformed, the larger the one of the object's surfaces is, the less the gravity that unit area carries gets, so the frictional force remains also remains constant.

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces that come into contact.

2. How does the contact area affect friction?

The larger the contact area between two surfaces, the greater the friction. This is because a larger contact area means there are more microscopic irregularities that can interact and create resistance to motion.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction between two surfaces?

The amount of friction between two surfaces is affected by factors such as the nature of the surfaces (smoothness, roughness, material), the force pressing the surfaces together, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants.

4. Can friction be completely eliminated?

No, it is impossible to completely eliminate friction. However, it can be reduced by using lubricants, polishing surfaces, or using materials with low coefficients of friction.

5. How is friction important in everyday life?

Friction plays a crucial role in everyday life, from walking to driving a car. It allows us to grip objects, walk without slipping, and control the speed of our vehicles. It also helps in the functioning of machines and equipment, such as brakes and gears.