Why Does Inertia Affect Movement of Coin on Paper?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter adjacent
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inertia
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
adjacent
Gold Member
Messages
1,552
Reaction score
62
The Coin(Green) in lying on a paper which is lying on a box.When I pull the paper with a higher force so that I could remove it easily,the coins stays about the same place.
When I remove the paper slowly,the coin comes with the paper.
Why?

I think that objects can react(Move) to smaller forces easily but for larger forces,it doesn't.
What do you think?
 
Attachments
  • jj.png
    jj.png
    358 bytes · Views: 565
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
adjacent said:
Why?
Because the coefficient of static friction is higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction.

adjacent said:
I think that objects can react(Move) to smaller forces easily but for larger forces,it doesn't.
What do you think?
No, that is wrong.
 
DaleSpam said:
Because the coefficient of static friction is higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction.
What?I don't Understand
 
In addition to the difference between static and kinetic friction, there is the difference between fast and slow.

If you pull the paper with high force, you pull it fast. There is not much time for the coin to speed up. If you pull the paper with low force, you pull it slow. There is more time for the coin to speed up.

The momentum delivered by a fixed force over a time interval is proportional to the duration of that interval.
 
Static friction force is given by [itex]f_s\le\mu_s N[/itex] and kinetic friction force is given by [itex]f_k=\mu_k N[/itex]. In both cases N (the normal force) is the same, so ##f_s## (the friction force without slipping) can be larger than ##f_k## (the friction force with slipping).