Why Does light have a speed limit.?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of whether or not questions without answers are allowed on the site. It is mentioned that personal theories are not allowed, and the speaker asks if there is a place to discuss and share personal theories. It is also mentioned that the person has tried to post their theory on the site but it was removed. The conversation then shifts to discussing the speed of light and the possibility of it having a limit. The speaker wants to know why light has a fixed top speed and is looking for others' thoughts and opinions on the matter. In response, it is mentioned that the speed of light can be derived from Maxwell's equations and that the IR forum is a place where personal theories can be discussed. The conversation ends
It would. One way to think about this is to consider a ball bouncing between the front and rear wall of a box that's accelerating. The ball will cause some resistance to the acceleration because it will hit the rear wall a bit harder than it will hit the front wall.

Physics news on Phys.org
Krom. I like the way you think. please continue. I too have my own theories behind how a lot of things work including why the speed of light is limited and i think a lot of people that are smart enough to do as well because thought experiments are fun but unfortunately i don't think anyone has proven why there is a speed light is limited to but we know there is one so at least we are on the right track.

WRT to this question and others, primarily what is the physical mechanism for gravity, I discovered a series of papers by Tom Ostoma and Mike Trushyk, published in the '90's, that sets forth a theory that, to me, really make sense. These papers are available at www.arxiv.org;[/URL] you can search under Ostoma as the author's name.

The fundamental philosophy is that their "Electromagnetic Quantum Gravity" requires two new particles, the masseon and the graviton (new only because it hasn't actually been seen yet). These particles, in combination with the vacuum fluctions (virtual particles coming in and out of existence), explain inertia, gravity, the speed of light, and many other phenomena. I'm not able to fully asses the math from these papers, but the idea really makes sense. You will have to ignore several misstatements and confusing sentences, though, but the meaning comes through.

The most comprehensive paper, beside the one on "Cellulator Automota" is "[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="3"]ELECTRO MAGNETIC QUANTUM GRAVITY
On the Quantum Principle of Equivalence,
Quantum Inertia, and the Meaning of Mass[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
"
This paper is about 150 pages long, but there are others, also under his name, that summarize the ideas.

I haven't yet been able to ascertain whether others have tended to prove or disprove the author's ideas; so far, it seems to me, that the physics community has sort of ignored it, but I'm not through searching yet.

However, for someone interested in these questions, these papers certainly offer ONE explanation that makes sense.

Happy Reading!

Last edited by a moderator: