Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why Does light have a speed limit.?

1. Jun 25, 2008 #1
    Am I allowed to Ask Questions that have no answers? as I guess your answers will be personal theory, and this site doesn't allow them?.

Catch 22 no?

I think I have the answer, but I'm not allowed to post it here as its a personal theory, anyone know where its possible to post it, and maybe chat about it. I have tried posting it on here, but its been removed even from the general chat, for being a personal theory, how do we try and answer questions that don't have answers?, without it being a theory.?

I can't tell you why I think light has a limit!!!!!!!!!! because It will get removed?. not even in the forum where theres such posts as "I hate my parents" and "is time real?" .

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My answers certainly won't be personal theories.

Are you asking "why does light travel at c?", or "why can information not be transmitted faster than c?".

4. Jun 25, 2008 #3

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As has been said before, you may submit your properly formatted personal theory to the Independent Research forum. Have you perhaps considered that there is already an answer to your question(s)?

5. Jun 25, 2008 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There is a difference between "asking a question" based on the desire to learn, versus "asking a question" simply to expound on one's personal theory that hasn't been verified. If you do not know the difference between the two, then you definitely have come to the wrong place. You have been shown the IR forum where this may be considered, per the rules of that forum.

Zz.

6. Jun 25, 2008 #5
    you read it pm?, its not that bad, also its ruff, I just wanted people talking about things we no nothing about, maybe theres something there to be learnt.

I asked why light has a limit, and my idea has an answer, just wanted to see what others thought, don't take it as anything other than a brain storming event.

IR forum? I have been shown nothing, I'm new I don't know what you mean by IR.

7. Jun 25, 2008 #6
    Both. please

8. Jun 25, 2008 #7

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

what makes you think we know nothing about it?

9. Jun 25, 2008 #8

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm still not quite sure what your asking:
    Or are you asking "why does light travel at c in a vacuum and slower in other media"?

10. Jun 25, 2008 #9

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For the former, the speed of light can be derived by applying Maxwell's equations to the wave-equation. For the latter, have a read of this.

11. Jun 25, 2008 #10
    I'm asking you

Why does it have a so called limit to its top speed. why can't it go faster? are you talking about working out the speed of light? I want to know why it has a fixed top speed.

12. Jun 25, 2008 #11

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You should have a read of the thread that you started asking where you can post such topics. :grumpy:

13. Jun 25, 2008 #12

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Have you been reading your PM? You were given a link to the Guidelines. The IR (Independent Research) forum is clearly mentioned there. If not, you can also read the "Rules" that is linked at the top of the Physics Forums page.

These guidelines are what you agreed to when you join PF.

Zz.

14. Jun 25, 2008 #13
    There is no proof of why there is a limit of speed of light, nigther can you proof theoretically that Newtons equatios are true (because they are axioms). Its a question of practice and experience. Theories, that we accept, are excepted because they agree with reallity. If you could find out an experiment where you could disproof it, then we have to rethink!

As a start it is good to look at what assumtions does these theories makes? Can you find an example which violate these certain conditions? Then you may find the way to the noble prize... New physics is more about finding these "backdoor" ways than defending old truth! I strongly encourage you to continue! (I also did when I was younger, and haven't we all once tried to develop perpetum mobile?)

Best,
    Per

15. Jun 25, 2008 #14
    If light did not travel at c, I severely doubt the universe would have arisen in the fashion it had, and that we would not be here to question the speed of light.

16. Jun 25, 2008 #15

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Krom, you seem to have missed it, but you were given the answers in post #9. Or are you not intrerested in the real answers?

Free-form, idle speculation/brainstorming just isn't how science is done. That's why we don't allow it here: this is a science forum.

17. Jun 25, 2008 #16
    Because science don't explain why things happens, but how they happens...xD

Now, if you want the why, make a call to the Universe's Arquitect.

Physics explains reality, try to formulate laws that agree with it. How light propagates at speed c: Due to electromagnetic waves and is invariance due observers; why it does that way? Every physicist answer would be based on intuition and not on actual physical understanding. Because the hole theory of Relativity is based on the axiom that light travels in vacuum at c and is independent from observer. Why that principle? Because so far it fits in experiments(and so in reality).

My guess is that you should read something about it, Steven Hawking and others have some interesting books about it. ;)

18. Jun 26, 2008 #17
    Everything has a limit. The speed of light is not limited because of some universal rule but because of the medium it travels through and to get from one place to another has to involve some passage of time.

c is the speed at which photons travel through a vacuum which is, to our current knowledge, a 'path of least resistance' to their passage. If you can get a 'cleaner' medium than a vacuum (perhaps one without the other particles and potential dark matter etc. that 'clutter' space) then there is no reason not to theorise that photons may travel at speeds higher than c through this medium.

19. Jun 26, 2008 #18
    Prove it, otherwise is just your opinion. And this isn't about opinions, or at least without fundament.
    No one proved so far that exists a fundamental particle(like greeks thought about atom), as no one proved that it doesn't exist, so, no: so far you can't say that, you are only speculating based on intuition.

20. Jun 26, 2008 #19
    I think you know I was speaking generally and in context to the medium.

You cut the quote short. I was stating that any limit is only that which is imposed by the medium it is travelling through.

21. Jul 3, 2008 #20
    Dumb question about c: is it an angular velocity or linear? or both somehow.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?