Why does red light penetrate polarized filters when others are blocked?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Farn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Filters
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
Farn
I was playing around with two polarized filters the other day. I was actually on the highway at the time. Something that I noticed when I had them aligned to block out all light, the only light that seemd to make it through was red. It was pretty cool looking to look at all the oncoming car's headlights (which we should know are white) and only seeing little red dots.

I would imagine this is a result of where red stands on the spectrum. This was actually surprising to me, because I was unaware that the frequancy of light had any impact on polarized filters. Plus even if it does, I would have thought the higher frequencies would be the ones able to penetrate.

So anyway, question is why red?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your polarised filters are dodgy?

Russ: Unless if there is another polarised disc in between out of alignment with the two.
 
A polarizer's effect on light is certainly frequency-dependent. After all, it's just a material made with a lot of closely-spaced lines. The spacing determines the interaction with light. The smaller the spacing, the higher the frequency of light that will interact with it.

There's no way that two perpindicular polarizers can admit ZERO light -- are you telling me that I can't transmit radio waves or blast some gamma rays through two sets of Ray-Bans? The polarization characteristics of realistic polarizing material is frequency-dependent.

- Warren
 
And also, couldn't you just add an extra polarized filter such that the outside filters are oriented the same, perpendicular to the middle filter and then allowing the light to once again pass through?