Why does saltwater increase rate of corrosion?

In summary, salt water increases the rate of corrosion due to its ability to make water a better electrolyte. This is because the conductivity of the solution allows for faster charge transfer, which speeds up the corrosion process. Additionally, chloride ions from the solution can remove iron cations, further accelerating the oxidation process. In order for the reaction to continue, the circuit must be closed to prevent a buildup of charge. In static lab salt solutions, the effect is similar to flowing sea water.
Absentee
Why does salt water increase rate of corrosion, really? Most common answer I read was that salt makes water a better electrolyte. No further explanation.

However, I'm not really getting the mechanism of this. I understand the mechanism of pitting corrosion in presence of chloride ions and I understand how chlorides break down the passive layer. Also, I'm ok with metal chlorides being more soluble so they do not form non-soluble layer of protection for protection from further corrosion.

However, how does being a better electrolyte make up for higher corrosion rate? In regular NaCl solution, for regular DC current, conductivity is achieved by chloride ions and hydrogen ions attraction towards charged electrodes and redox reactions (and transferring electrons through the loop), not by moving charges themselves. So how does conductivity make up for faster rusting, is there a reaction, a mechanism, an electron transfer? Where?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Lower resistance of the solution definitely helps to speed up charge transfer, especially when redox centers (oxidation/reduction) are separated (that is, reactions don't take place in exactly the same spot).

Borek said:
Lower resistance of the solution definitely helps to speed up charge transfer, especially when redox centers (oxidation/reduction) are separated (that is, reactions don't take place in exactly the same spot).
But where does electrolyte conductivity take place here? If I have a reaction, for example, Fe ---> Fe2+ + 2e- , electrons move through the metal itself to the place where they will get "spent": H2O + (1/2)O2 + 2e- ---> 2OH- .

One other thing, as I see it, free Na+ and Cl- ions help to disrupt H2O molecules in a sense, encouraging them to also split into their respective H+ and OH- ions more often. Since there is higher concentration of OH- ions, OH- is getting removed from the solution by precipitating Fe2+ + 2OH- ---> Fe(OH)2, therefore shifting cathodic reaction to the right, and speeding up the process?

Second thing that comes to my mind is that chloride ions from the solution "remove" iron cations by reaction Fe2+ + 2Cl- ---> FeCl2 and therefore, shift reaction Fe ---> Fe2+ + 2e- to the right, furthermore speeding up the oxidation process. Is this correct?

Absentee said:
But where does electrolyte conductivity take place here? If I have a reaction, for example, Fe ---> Fe2+ + 2e- , electrons move through the metal itself to the place where they will get "spent": H2O + (1/2)O2 + 2e- ---> 2OH- .

This circuit is not closed yet.

Absentee said:
One other thing, as I see it, free Na+ and Cl- ions help to disrupt H2O molecules in a sense, encouraging them to also split into their respective H+ and OH- ions more often.

In general - they don't. Sure they use water molecules for solvation, but the effect on the water autoionization is negligible.

Absentee said:
Second thing that comes to my mind is that chloride ions from the solution "remove" iron cations by reaction Fe2+ + 2Cl- ---> FeCl2

To some extent complexation helps, no doubt about it. But that's less important. We are more interested in the corrosion kinetics than in the final equilibrium.

Borek said:
This circuit is not closed yet.
I think this is the part that's bugging me. Why does the circuit even need to be closed? Fe2+ keeps getting disolved and OH- keeps getting in the "solution". Do Na+ and Cl- work like a salt-bridge in a galvanic cell in a way, enabling to somewhat neutralize localized (anodic) positive charge (from Fe2+), and (cathodic) negative charge (from OH-) distribution ?

If the circuit is not closed you have a buildup of charge.

Let's start with a simplified model. We know both half reactions occur in separate places (not necessarily far from each other, but separated). Before the reaction:

Fe -------------------------- O2

System is neutral on both ends. Now the reaction proceeds and electrons move. After the reaction:

Fe2+ -------------------------- O22-

There are charges on both ends, and they will prevent further reaction, as electrons now have to move against the electric field (you can also think in terms of a potential difference being created in the system) which is much harder (requires much more work done). That's where closing the circuit comes in handy - it helps to discharge the system so that both ends become neutral again and the reaction can proceed further.

Likes Absentee
Borek said:
If the circuit is not closed you have a buildup of charge.

Let's start with a simplified model. We know both half reactions occur in separate places (not necessarily far from each other, but separated). Before the reaction:

Fe -------------------------- O2

System is neutral on both ends. Now the reaction proceeds and electrons move. After the reaction:

Fe2+ -------------------------- O22-

There are charges on both ends, and they will prevent further reaction, as electrons now have to move against the electric field (you can also think in terms of a potential difference being created in the system) which is much harder (requires much more work done). That's where closing the circuit comes in handy - it helps to discharge the system so that both ends become neutral again and the reaction can proceed further.
Great, thanks!

Do you mean flowing sea water or static lab salt solutions ?

Nidum said:
Do you mean flowing sea water or static lab salt solutions ?
Static.

1. Why is saltwater more corrosive than freshwater?

Saltwater contains a higher concentration of dissolved ions, specifically sodium and chloride ions, compared to freshwater. These ions are responsible for accelerating the corrosion process.

2. How do saltwater and metal interact to cause corrosion?

When saltwater comes into contact with metal, a chemical reaction occurs which results in the formation of an electrochemical cell. This cell causes an exchange of electrons between the metal and the saltwater, leading to the breakdown of the metal over time.

3. Does the temperature of saltwater affect the rate of corrosion?

Yes, higher temperatures can increase the rate of corrosion in saltwater. This is because higher temperatures increase the speed of chemical reactions, causing the corrosion process to occur more rapidly.

4. Are all metals equally affected by saltwater corrosion?

No, different types of metals have varying levels of resistance to corrosion in saltwater. For example, stainless steel is more resistant to corrosion compared to iron or aluminum.

5. Can other factors besides saltwater affect the rate of corrosion in metals?

Yes, factors such as pH levels, oxygen levels, and pollutants in the water can also influence the rate of corrosion in metals. These factors can either increase or decrease the corrosive effects of saltwater.