1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why does sound pressure vary with 1/r?

1. Oct 11, 2011 #1
    I didn't follow the template because this is more of a conceptual question that I can't get a clear answer for.

I understand that sound intensity varies with 1/r^2 because the total intensity at a point in the wave is constant and if you have spherical propagation then the area of the surface of that sphere increases with r^2.

I can also calculate pressure from the formulas of intensity that include pressure.

But can anybody give an intuitive explanation for why pressure drops off with distance and not distance squared? Since sound is a travelling pressure wave, I suppose we can pretend that we are riding a pressure peak out in space along a ray.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2011 #2
    The force of a compressed spring is F = kx and the energy in a compressed spring is kx^2/2

Can you convince yourself that a gas acts like a compressible spring?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook