1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why does taking the logarithm of both sides not work?

1. Jun 3, 2012 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Differentiate [itex]x=e^{-x}[/itex]

The attempt at a solution
    [tex]\ln{x}=\ln{e^{-x}}[/tex]
    [tex]\ln{x}=-x[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left(\ln{x}\right)=\frac{d}{dx}\left(-x\right)[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{1}{x}=-1[/tex]

The correct answer is [itex]1+e^{-x}[/itex]. I know how to solve it that way; however, why is the above method wrong? I know there are usually two variables, but I can't see any mathematical errors in my method.

Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Hypercubes! :smile:
    Obviously a misprint, for "Differentiate [itex]x-e^{-x}[/itex]" :wink:

4. Jun 3, 2012 #3
    Well, the exact question was "explain why the equation [itex]e^{-x} = x[/itex] has exactly one solution", and the answer goes on to define [itex]f(x) = x-e^{-x}[/itex] and says "Since [itex]f'(x) = 1 + e^{-x}[/itex], and [itex]1 + e^{-x} > 0[/itex] for all x, the function f is increasing..."

So they set it to 0 to get the derivative. However, why was the method I used not valid?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  5. Jun 3, 2012 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your expression, [itex]x=e^{-x}[/itex] is just that -- an expression. You cannot treat it as a function. In particular, you can't differentiate both sides and expect something meaningful to pop out. What you can do is to rewrite it as [itex]x-e^{-x} = 0[/itex], and now the quantity on the right hand side [itex]f(x)=x-e^{-x}[/itex] can be treated as a function. You aren't differentiating both sides of [itex]f(x)=0[/itex]. Just one.

6. Jun 3, 2012 #5
    Ah, I see. Thanks you both!

7. Jun 3, 2012 #6

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As a simple example. Take the equation 3x-2=x. This equation has 1 solution x=1. If you differentiate both sides though, you get 3=1 which is obviously not true.

This is because the undifferentiated equation is asking a fundamentally different question than the differentiated equation. The equation 3x-2=x is asking "When is the function f(x)=3x-2 equal to the function g(x)=x?" While the differentiated equation is asking "When is the slope of the function f(x) equal to the slope of the function g(x)?"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook