1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why does the Hessian determinant Δ_p = -1 imply that P(0, 0) is a saddle point?

1. Apr 16, 2012 #1

s3a

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For the function f(x, y) = xye^[-(x^2 + y^2)] find all the critical points and classify them each as a relative maximum, a relative minimum, or a saddle point.

2. Relevant equations
    Partial differentiation and Hessian determinants.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I get how to compute the derivatives. I also get how to compute the Hessian determinants. Basically, I get all the algebraic details but what I would like to ask about (at least for now) is why does the Hessian determinant Δ_p = -1 imply that P(0, 0) is a saddle point?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The Hessian at (x0,y0) gives the quadratic terms in the Taylor expansion at that point. In other words, if we write
    [tex] f(x,y) \approx f(x_0,y_0) + a_0 (x-x_0) + b_0 (y-y_0)
    + \frac{1}{2} r_0 (x-x_0)^2 + s_0 (x-x_0)(y-y_0) + \frac{1}{2} t_0 (y-y_0)^2 + \text{ higher order terms },[/tex] the constants [itex] r_0, s_0, t_0[/itex] are the elements of the Hessian at (x0,y0); that is, the Hessian is
    [tex] H(x_0,y_0) = \left[ \matrix{r_0&s_0\\s_0&t_0} \right].[/tex] So, if the Hessian is [tex] H = \left[ \matrix{0&1\\1&0}\right], [/tex] that means that for small x and y we have [itex] f(x,y) \approx xy,[/itex] and if you plot the surface z = xy around (0,0), you will see that (0,0) is, indeed, a saddle point.

Doesn't your textbook or your course notes have this material?

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook