1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the local extrema or saddle points of a function

1. Apr 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    f(x,y)=5xy-7x^2+3x-6y+2

2. Relevant equations
    (f_xx)(f_yy)-(f_xy)^2 the hessian or discriminant of f

3. The attempt at a solution
    i arrived at a solution but i dont think its correct, and the answer isnt in the back of the book, so i just wanted to ask if i did this correctly
    the first partial derivatives are f_x and f_Y are
    f_x=5y-14x+3 and f_y=5x-6
    setting f_y=0 i get x=6/5
    plugging this value into f_x and solving for y i get 69/25
    therefore my critical point is at (6/5,69/25)
    the second order partial derivatives are then
    f_xx=-14 f_yy=0 and f_xy=5
    then using the discriminant of f i get -25 so i get a saddle point
    but i graphed the function on wolfram alpha, and i doesnt seem like there is a saddle point on the graph

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you sure you plotted a region including the purported saddle point?

4. Apr 8, 2012 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The problem when you graph it is that the eigenvalues of the Hessian are close to -16 and 1.5. So in the direction where it appears to be a maximum there is a lot of curvature, and in the direction where it appears to be a minimum there is not so much. When you graph it in wolfram alpha there's a clear parabola shape with a ridge at the top and lost due to the scaling is the fact that the ridge does curve up very gently

5. Apr 9, 2012 #4
    not sure what an eigenvalue is but i guess from both your responses there is a saddle point on f
    how do i plot a single region in wolfram alpha? id like to see this saddle point if i can haha

thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook