Finding the local extrema or saddle points of a function

In summary, the student attempted to find a solution to the homework equation but did not seem to have found a solution.
miglo

Homework Statement

f(x,y)=5xy-7x^2+3x-6y+2

2. Homework Equations
(f_xx)(f_yy)-(f_xy)^2 the hessian or discriminant of f

The Attempt at a Solution

i arrived at a solution but i don't think its correct, and the answer isn't in the back of the book, so i just wanted to ask if i did this correctly
the first partial derivatives are f_x and f_Y are
f_x=5y-14x+3 and f_y=5x-6
setting f_y=0 i get x=6/5
plugging this value into f_x and solving for y i get 69/25
therefore my critical point is at (6/5,69/25)
the second order partial derivatives are then
f_xx=-14 f_yy=0 and f_xy=5
then using the discriminant of f i get -25 so i get a saddle point
but i graphed the function on wolfram alpha, and i doesn't seem like there is a saddle point on the graph

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you plotted a region including the purported saddle point?

The problem when you graph it is that the eigenvalues of the Hessian are close to -16 and 1.5. So in the direction where it appears to be a maximum there is a lot of curvature, and in the direction where it appears to be a minimum there is not so much. When you graph it in wolfram alpha there's a clear parabola shape with a ridge at the top and lost due to the scaling is the fact that the ridge does curve up very gently

not sure what an eigenvalue is but i guess from both your responses there is a saddle point on f
how do i plot a single region in wolfram alpha? id like to see this saddle point if i can haha

thanks!

1. How do I find the local extrema of a function?

To find the local extrema of a function, you need to first take the derivative of the function and set it equal to 0 to find the critical points. Then, you can use the first or second derivative test to determine if the critical points are local maximums, local minimums, or saddle points.

2. What is the first derivative test?

The first derivative test is a method used to determine whether a critical point is a local maximum or a local minimum. To use this test, you need to evaluate the derivative at the critical point. If the derivative is positive, the critical point is a local minimum. If the derivative is negative, the critical point is a local maximum.

3. How do I use the second derivative test to find the local extrema?

The second derivative test is a method used to determine the concavity of a function at a critical point. If the second derivative is positive, the function is concave up and the critical point is a local minimum. If the second derivative is negative, the function is concave down and the critical point is a local maximum. If the second derivative is 0, the test is inconclusive and you may need to use other methods to determine the type of critical point.

4. What is a saddle point?

A saddle point is a critical point of a function where the function has neither a local maximum nor a local minimum. At a saddle point, the function is either concave up in one direction and concave down in another, or vice versa. This results in the function having a horizontal slope in all directions, resembling the shape of a saddle.

5. Are there any other methods for finding local extrema?

Yes, there are other methods for finding local extrema of a function, such as using the first derivative test, graphing the function, or using calculus techniques like Rolle's theorem or the Mean Value Theorem. It is important to use multiple methods to confirm the results and ensure accuracy.