Why does the lion look inverted in the water?

• Thread starter NumFront
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the image of the lion in water is inverted because the light rays reflect back from the water in a mirror image.
NumFront
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
Hello

Screenshot_2018-12-31-20-03-13.png
(This image is taken from Physics textbook grade 10. The book has been published in Pakistan)

My question is: why do see the lion inverted in water in this image? I think it is due to the process of continuous reflection. But I am not sure. I need your help.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-12-31-20-03-13.png
    Screenshot_2018-12-31-20-03-13.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,305
Physics news on Phys.org
NumFront said:
I think it is due to the process of continuous reflection
What is the "process of continuous reflection"? I had never encountered the term. A quick trip to Google reveals a best-guess meaning that has nothing to do with physics.

Likes PeroK
Can you explain, please, which phenomena of physics is involved there? Is it refraction?

NumFront said:
Can you explain, please, which phenomena of physics is involved there? Is it refraction?
Refraction involves a light path that goes through a region with a high refractive index, across a boundary into and through a material with a low refractive index (or vice versa going from low to high instead). Does the light coming to your eye from the lion follow such a path?

Again, I ask, what is "continuous reflection".

@NumFront I gather from this post and your other posts that you misunderstand this forum. You think it is just a Q&A forum where you ask a question and get an answer. There are LOTS of such forums on the internet but this is not one of them. What we do is try to help you figure out answers to your questions YOURSELF. That is why jbriggs has answered your question with a question and forum manners dictate that you have to answer him before others are supposed to give you any further help.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Likes FactChecker
NumFront said:
Hello

View attachment 236633 (This image is taken from Physics textbook grade 10. The book has been published in Pakistan)

My question is: why do see the lion inverted in water in this image? I think it is due to the process of continuous reflection. But I am not sure. I need your help.

Thanks.
Your guess is true, it is because of specular reflection. You see the lion and its mirror image.
See https://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/resources/48-reflection-of-light
Try to draw light rays arriving to your eyes from the lion. Some rays go to your eyes directly from the lion. Other rays reach your eyes after having reflected from the water surface. And you see a picture in the direction from where the light rays came.

Likes Delta2
Consider the angles involved and how reflection works.

Look up the Laws of Reflection. There are hundreds of lines available from Google. Pick one that you fancy.
Look up Specular and Diffuse reflection, too.

Isn't this a case of Total Internal Reflection, where, beyond a critical angle, light just reflects back into the rarer medium?

Sammit Dhar said:
Isn't this a case of Total Internal Reflection, where, beyond a critical angle, light just reflects back into the rarer medium?
In total internal reflection, light reflects back into the more dense medium. There is no critical angle for light arriving at the boundary from the rarer medium. For such light, you always have a mixture of refraction into the denser medium and reflection into the rarer medium.

Sammit Dhar said:
No, it is not, and total internal reflection happens when, beyond a critical angle, the light totally reflects back into the denser medium

ehild said:
No, it is not, and total internal reflection happens when, beyond a critical angle, the light totally reflects back into the denser medium
. . . . . . and the only reflection is due to the Fresnel Reflection Formula. The inversion of the image is due to the simple laws of reflection in a mirror.

Likes FactChecker
See the picture. It shows light rays starting from the head of the lion. The orange ray directly goes to your eyes; the blue one reflects from the water, and then reaches your eyes. Your brain knows that the light travels along straight lines, so you see the head of lion in the direction from where the ray came. You see one lion head where it really is; and an other one deep inside the water: the mirror image .
(Sorry, I could not draw a better lion.)
upload_2019-1-3_7-3-38.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-3_7-3-38.png
    upload_2019-1-3_7-3-38.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 668
Likes FactChecker

1. Why does the lion's reflection look inverted in the water?

The lion's reflection looks inverted in the water because of the phenomenon known as refraction. When light travels from one medium (air) to another (water), it bends or changes direction. This change in direction causes the image of the lion to appear upside down.

2. Is this phenomenon unique to lions or does it happen to other animals as well?

This phenomenon happens to all animals and objects that are reflected in water, not just lions. It is a natural occurrence due to the way light behaves when passing through different mediums.

3. Does this mean that the lion's reflection is not a true representation of its appearance?

Yes, the lion's reflection is not a true representation of its appearance due to the refraction of light in water. However, the lion's reflection can still provide helpful information about its size and movements.

4. Can this phenomenon be seen in any type of water, or only in still water?

This phenomenon can be seen in any type of water, including still water, moving water, and even water droplets. As long as there is a difference in the density of the two mediums (air and water), refraction will occur.

5. Is there any way to prevent this inverted reflection from happening?

No, as long as there is a difference in density between the air and water, refraction will occur and cause the inverted reflection. However, if the lion were to look at its reflection from a different angle or use a reflective surface above the water, the reflection would appear right-side up.