Why does the oxygen atom in H3O+ have a positive formal charge?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
semc
Messages
364
Reaction score
5
Acid dissociates in water to form H3O+ and OH- but the formal charge on the oxygen atom in H3O+ is +1. Shouldn't the oxygen atom have a negative formal charge since it is more electronegative than hydrogen atom?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
semc said:
Acid dissociates in water to form H3O+ and OH- but the formal charge on the oxygen atom in H3O+ is +1. Shouldn't the oxygen atom have a negative formal charge since it is more electronegative than hydrogen atom?

Acids don't dissociate into H3O+ and OH-, formal charge of oxygen in H3O+ is not +1 - so I have no idea what you are asking about.

-2 + 3*(+1) = +1
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I meant to ask the acid dissociation in water into H+ and A-. So I wanted to ask why this is so. Why can't the acid accept the proton. Is this just because of the definition of acid?