Why does the recoiling nucleus have a smaller momentum than the alpha particle?

In summary, the speed of the recoiling nucleus in a radium nucleus decay is slower than the speed of the emitted alpha particle due to the recoiling nucleus having a much larger mass. In part (i) of question 7, the correct answer is C because the momentum of the recoiling nucleus is smaller than the momentum of the alpha particle. In part (iii), the correct answer is D because the conservation of momentum and equal forces acting on both particles imply that the recoiling nucleus has a larger mass than the alpha particle. However, in the given question, it is not specified whether O is stationary or not, so none of the answers can be known for certain.
jsmith613

Homework Statement

A radium nucleus decays by emitting an alpha particle. The speed of the recoiling
nucleus is small compared to the speed of the alpha particle. This is because the:

A force acting on the recoiling nucleus is smaller than the force acting on the
alpha particle
B momentum is mainly concentrated in the alpha particle
C momentum of the recoiling nucleus is smaller than the momentum of the
alpha particle
D recoiling nucleus has a much larger mass than the alpha particle

why is it D?
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdoc...E January 2010 - ER/6PH04_01_pef_20100310.pdf

Look at question 7)

for part (i) why is it C and

for part (iii) we were NOT told that O was stationairy so why is it D?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so for q3)
there is no way to conclude any of them
A: we don't know the accelerations
B: how much faster is it moving?
C: again we don;t know exact speeds
D: true but why relevant?

for Q7)
i) I would have said none of them can be KNOWN
but I would say X and Y have the same charge as they move in the same direction

ii) I got

iii)
we are not told if O is stationairy or not?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok so I get the first one. momentum is conserved and the forces are the same due to netwon 3
but for Q7 in the paper I don't undertand i or iii)

1. What is the content coverage of Physics - Edexcel unit 4?

The content coverage of Physics - Edexcel unit 4 includes topics such as electricity, mechanics, thermal physics, nuclear and particle physics, and astrophysics. It also covers practical skills and mathematical techniques relevant to these topics.

2. How is Physics - Edexcel unit 4 assessed?

Physics - Edexcel unit 4 is assessed through a written examination that is 2 hours and 30 minutes long. The exam consists of a mix of multiple-choice, short answer, and extended response questions.

3. Can I use a calculator on the Physics - Edexcel unit 4 exam?

Yes, a calculator is allowed on the exam. However, there are certain restrictions on the type of calculator that can be used. It is recommended to check the official guidelines to ensure your calculator is allowed.

4. How can I prepare for Physics - Edexcel unit 4?

To prepare for Physics - Edexcel unit 4, it is important to thoroughly review the content and practice solving different types of questions. You can also use past exam papers and revision guides to help you prepare. It is also helpful to seek guidance from your teacher or tutor.

5. What are the benefits of studying Physics - Edexcel unit 4?

Studying Physics - Edexcel unit 4 not only helps you gain a deeper understanding of the physical world, but it also develops your critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. These are valuable skills that can be applied to various fields and careers, making it a highly beneficial subject to study.