Why does the right cart gain more energy than the left in this inertial drive test?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Mr Vibrating
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Drive
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Mr Vibrating
Messages
38
Reaction score
1
Ookay, previous thread was locked out without receiving any help - to the mod in question, I'm asking for assistance in analysing a result, not trying to argue (much less prove) any particular conclusion. I uploaded videos to YT so that anyone wishing to assist can see what the problem is. How else would i share the problem if not by allowing others to see it?
Likewise I'm not seeking reminders of why inertial drives are impossible - I'm fully aware of the reasons, sorry if i hadn't made that clear.Rather I'm hoping someone familiar with mechanics can help explain the result. If that's too much to ask then please ignore the thread. Locking it out (?) is an emotional reaction, not a rational one.

The question remains, why in the arms-free run does the right cart appear to receive more energy than the left cart?

I'm unsatisfied with my previous suggestion as it's inconsistent with the result - it doesn't explain why the left cart undergoes a smaller displacement when the arms are free. My understanding is that equal masses should undergo equal accelerations when subjected to the same impulse, yet here one mass appears to have more energy than the other (it travels further than its opposite)..

Any help appreciated...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
...and sorry to double post but I've just double checked the posting guidelines and wish to make absolutely clear for the mods - I'm not advocating an N3 violation, nor any other kind of woo, the YT account is my own and i don't normally use it for this sort of thing.

The device in question is patented as a marine propulsion system, and ostensibly operates as such. I've taken the liberty of uploading videos so that reviewers have a visual reference. A prototype had to be submitted and demonstrated to the patent examiners' satisfaction, so while this may seem a contentious system it's obviously dependent on standard classical physics and thus perfectly explicable as such.

I'm not however a physicist and so have come here humbly beseeching the wise ones to help me understand why this asymmetry occurs.

I've made lengthy efforts to understand the system as best I'm able but have been unable to formulate it consistently with the result.

The crux of my confusion seems to be that i expect energy to be apportioned equally between the masses by an intervening impulse...

...so a smaller mass will undergo a higher acceleration than a larger one, but despite the higher speed it has proportionately less mass and so the same net energy. From this principle one would expect both carts to receive equal energy, yet this is not observed..
 
Links to the youtube videos you mentioned would be nice.
 
Thread locked, just like the last one was.