Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why does this integral go to zero?

1. Apr 28, 2010 #1
    Why does this integral go to zero? Where alpha+ is a creation operator?

[tex]\int \frac{d^3k}{w_k} k^j \left(\alpha^+ (\underline{k}) \alpha^+ (-\underline{k})e^{2iw_k x^0}\right)[/tex]
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2010 #2
    odd integrand
  4. Apr 29, 2010 #3
    Sorry - stupid question, why is it an odd integrand? If it is an odd integrand, alpha(+k) and alpha(-k) are either odd and even (or even and odd) or both odd. An odd function has the property that f(-x)=-f(x) and an even function has the property that f(-x)=f(x) - why must the creation operators have these properties? As I understand it, they are just coefficients of the general expansion of the field, so they should be totally arbitrary..
  5. Apr 29, 2010 #4
    as far as I see, there is a k in front of the parenthesis..
  6. Apr 29, 2010 #5
    yes but that k is just a constant. We are integrating wrt vector k, I think.

EDIT: In anycase, if the k was a variable in the integration, why would this make the integral zero? (sorry if this is a stupid question)..
  7. Apr 29, 2010 #6
    why isn't it the j-th component? j = 1,2,3

d^3k = dk1 dk2 dk3

so the integral is a 3-vector relation.

where did you find this expression?
  8. Apr 29, 2010 #7
    Oh okay, that makes sense.

The original question itself is this:

[tex]\int d^3.\underline{x}T^{0j}(x)[/tex]

in terms of creation and annihilation operators.

Basically, when I expand it out (very long), I get two integrals like the one in the OP - which should go to zero according to the solutions I've been given... I just dont understand why.
  9. Apr 29, 2010 #8
    well the integral you posted first is odd, so it is zero

and from

\int d^3.\underline{x}T^{0j}(x)

you that it is a j0 tensor which is what you have posted in your post. i.e it SHOULD depend on the j-th coordinate
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  10. Apr 29, 2010 #9
    Yes it should depend on the jth coordinate.

Sorry I'm sure this is a really stupid question, but would I be right in saying that the alpha functions must both be even (or one even one odd, or both odd), for the integral to be zero (as evenxevenxodd=odd (the standalone k is odd).

Why must this be the case? The alpha functions are Fourier coefficients of a general field, why can we impose such a constraint to these functions?
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  11. Apr 29, 2010 #10
    you see that the integral is zero since it is odd due to the k^j factor

Also you have a(-x)a(x) which is even under x -> -x

so it doesen't matter if a(x) is odd or even under x-> -x, since they come in this combination.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook