1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why does this not diverge when x = inf?

1. Dec 4, 2012 #1
    Here is the equation I came across during a proof in my Statistical Mechanics textbook.

[itex]\frac{x^3}{3} ln(1-e^{-βx}) = 0[/itex]

where [itex]β = \frac{1}{k_{B}T}[/itex] and [itex]x[/itex] is evaluated from [itex]\infty[/itex] to [itex]0[/itex].

Why does this not diverge? Is it an estimation?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2012 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

What do you mean by "[itex]x[/itex] is evaluated from [itex]\infty[/itex] to [itex]0[/itex]"? Just that that is the range of x, i.e., ##x \in [0,\infty)##?

At any rate, as you take ##x\rightarrow \infty##, ##e^{-\beta x}## becomes small. You can then use the taylor expansion of the logarithm, ##\ln(1+t) \approx t## as ##t\rightarrow 0## to find the leading order behavior as x gets large, and see that the expression will go to zero.

You could also use L'Hopital's rule to demonstrate this, as the limit is of the indeterminate form ##\infty \cdot 0##. Both approaches will give you the limit, but the first approach also tells you how the function behaves asymptotically as x gets large.

4. Dec 4, 2012 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Was this in the form of a limit? That context would make sense with what you said below.

$$ \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{x^3}{3} ln(1-e^{-βx}) $$

The above is the indeterminate form [∞ * 0]. Being indeterminate, you can't tell how it will turn out.

The thing to do is to write it in a form so that L'Hopital's Rule can be used; namely,
    $$ \frac{1}{3}\lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{ln(1-e^{-βx}) }{x^{-3}} $$

Now, it's the indeterminate form [0/0], so L'Hopital's can be used. The numerator is approaching 0, as is the denominator.

Applying L'H, you arrive pretty quickly at a limit value of 0.
    I'm assuming that β > 0. Also, we don't normally evaluate something from ∞
    to 0. We can take the limit, though, as x → ∞.

5. Dec 4, 2012 #4
    Sorry I probably should have provided more information. That equation is the result of an integral being from 0 to ∞. So, with that equation, setting x = 0 makes the equation zero along with setting x = ∞.

And the only restriction on β is that β > 0.

6. Dec 5, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you are working with integrals, you should know by now that you can not "set [itex]x= \infty[/itex]". You have to use limits.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook