Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Why does this term always approach 4?

1. Nov 22, 2016 #1
    I have followed several derivations to obtain the formula for tunnelling probability in a finite square potential well.

the standard result that is actually an approximation to a more complex result is;

upload_2016-11-23_10-1-27.png

I get the derivation of this result shown in many standard texts.

what I do not get is the term before the exponential always approximates to the number 4.

I am not interested in verifying this with actual values for V, E.

I want to know algebraically why the term is always approximately equal to 4 for any values of V, E.

it is supposed to be obvious and probably is, eludes me atm.

authors often make a further approximation and ignore the entire term so they are always out by a factor of 4 on an already approximate answer.

when dealing with such small numbers is leaving the 4 out that pedagogically sound - that's a seprate question.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2016 #2
    It certainly isn't close to 4 for "any" values. It's exactly 4 when V = 2 * E0. So I suppose there's some physical reason why V / E0 is usually close to 2. But I don't know why that would be.

4. Nov 22, 2016 #3

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Can you give some references that make this claim?

5. Nov 23, 2016 #4
    not sure to be honest. will do a search.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted