Does the +/- 1 term in bosonic and fermionic statistics matter

In summary, the difference between Bose-Einstein and Fermi-Dirac statistics lies in the +/-1 term in the denominator of their respective distribution functions. This term arises from the fact that bosons and fermions are indistinguishable particles. At extremely low temperatures, the term becomes important in both statistics, but for different reasons. For bosons, it allows for an arbitrarily high number of particles in a given state, leading to a prediction of all particles occupying the same state at absolute zero. For fermions, the term keeps the occupancy bound, resulting in a minimum energy state at absolute zero. However, in both cases, the term cannot be ignored as it makes a significant difference in the calculations.
KFC
I am reading an articles introducing the Nobel Price on Bose-Einstein condensates from where I have further reading on Bosonic and Fermionic statistics on some texts. I know one of the mathematical difference is the +/- 1 term in the denominator of the distribution function as below

##f_{BE} = \dfrac{1}{A\exp(E/k_BT) - 1}##

##f_{FD} = \dfrac{1}{B\exp((E-E_f)/k_BT) + 1}##

for the Fermi-Dirac distribution, again the term "+1" arise from the fact of indistinguishable particles. But since there is a Fermi energy when the total energy lower than the Fermi energy (so ##E-E_f<0##), at extreme low temperature #\exp((E-E_f)/k_BT) \to 0# so the probably becomes 1. So the "+1" becomes important.

However, the similar reasoning applied on the Bose-Einstein statistics is misleading me. In some book, it is said that the "-1" term for BE distribution arise from the fact that the particles are indistinguishable so to increase the likelihood of multiple occupation of one energy state. Well, if we subtract a positive number from the denominator of a distribution, you get bigger output for ##f_{BE}##, I think that's why they said "increasing the likelihood"? But in the case when T approaches extreme low temperature so ##\exp(E/k_BT)## become a really big number, can we ignore that "-1" so to conclude that #f_{BE} \to 0#. But it seems opposite to what I learn from the article where it said at very low temperature, all particles occupying the same state so it is almost 100% to see all particles in ground state. Am I missing or misunderstanding something here?

Physics news on Phys.org
KFC said:
...on some texts... In some book,...
... which texts, which book?

Well, if we subtract a positive number from the denominator of a distribution, you get bigger output for ##f_{BE}##, I think that's why they said "increasing the likelihood"?
That is correct. The important difference is that you can only get one fermions per state while you can have any number of bosons. This means that the number of bosons in a given state may be arbitrarily high.

But in the case when T approaches extreme low temperature so ##\exp(E/k_BT)## become a really big number, can we ignore that "-1" so to conclude that #f_{BE} \to 0#. But it seems opposite to what I learn from the article where it said at very low temperature, all particles occupying the same state so it is almost 100% to see all particles in ground state. Am I missing or misunderstanding something here?
We can only ignore things that make a small difference. This is called "making an approximation". As you point out, that "+/-1" in the denominator makes a big difference at low temperatures, so we cannot ignore it.

The maths predicts that, at close to absolute zero, all bosons are in the lowest possible state.
For an example of a super-cold collection of bosons all in the same state that has been produced in the lab see: "liquid helium".

It depends on which limit you consider. For a fixed energy E>0, in the limit of T->0 the occupancy goes to zero - because all the particles are then at even lower energies. At a fixed temperature, for very low energies the Bose-Einstein statistics grows without limit, while the Fermi-Dirac statistic stays bound.

1. How does the +/- 1 term affect the behavior of bosons and fermions?

The +/- 1 term in bosonic and fermionic statistics refers to the exchange symmetry of particles. Bosons have a +1 exchange symmetry, meaning that swapping two identical bosons does not change the overall state of the system. On the other hand, fermions have a -1 exchange symmetry, meaning that swapping two identical fermions leads to a change in the overall state of the system. This affects the behavior of these particles in various physical phenomena.

2. What is the significance of the +/- 1 term in particle statistics?

The +/- 1 term in particle statistics is significant because it helps us understand the fundamental differences between bosons and fermions. This term arises from the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two identical fermions can occupy the same quantum state. It also plays a crucial role in predicting the properties of matter and the behavior of particles in different physical systems.

3. Can the +/- 1 term be ignored in calculations?

No, the +/- 1 term cannot be ignored in calculations involving bosons and fermions. It is an essential factor in determining the behavior of these particles and must be taken into account in all relevant calculations. Ignoring this term can lead to incorrect predictions and results.

4. How does the +/- 1 term affect the quantum statistics of particles?

The +/- 1 term is a fundamental aspect of quantum statistics and affects the quantum behavior of particles. For bosons, it leads to the formation of Bose-Einstein condensates, where a large number of particles occupy the same quantum state. For fermions, it results in the formation of degenerate states, where no two particles can occupy the same quantum state.

5. Are there any exceptions to the +/- 1 term in bosonic and fermionic statistics?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the +/- 1 term in bosonic and fermionic statistics. For example, in certain systems, particles may exhibit intermediate statistics, where the exchange symmetry is neither +1 nor -1. This is known as anyonic statistics and has been observed in some exotic physical systems such as quantum Hall fluids.