Why does this trick work? Screenshot inside

• Thread starter tamtam402
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the conversation discusses a method to evaluate an error in a series using a given formula. The person is confused about why a large number of terms is needed to get an answer with an error < 0.005, but the formula provided allows for an answer with an error < 0.005 using only ~130 terms. The difference lies in how the series is summed, with the alternative method allowing for a faster decrease in error.
tamtam402
Why does this "trick" work? Screenshot inside

I managed to do the computations but unfortunately I don't understand why the trick works in part b). It is said that N has to be very very big to find the answer within 0.005, yet in part b I find N ≈ 130 (which I know is right). That means the solution can now be found with error < 0.005 with only 130 terms. Is that right? Could someone explain to me what's going on brievely? This is a scan from Mary L Boas mathematical methods book which I'm self-learning from, and unfortunately this is the only information found on this trick to evaluate the error.

Attachments

• q.PNG
    q.PNG
    16.2 KB · Views: 469
Physics news on Phys.org

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately the linked website wasn't much help, I already figured out how to use the given expressions to bind a series, but I was hoping someone would explain to me why that method works. I'm mostly confused by the 2 steps listed in my book: first it is stated that a very big number of terms is necessary to get an answer with an error < 0.005, yet immediately after that I'm given the formula to get the answer with an error < 0.005 using only ~130 terms. What's going on?

The difference lies in how you sum the series, which is what this example is trying to get at. Summing the terms one by one requires many, many terms to ensure the error falls into place, but this alternative method (whatever that is; "Figures 6.1 and 6.2" are not in the picture) seems to make it clear that you can massage the error to decrease much faster.

1. Why is the trick able to produce the desired result?

The trick works because it utilizes scientific principles such as optical illusions, misdirection, and sleight of hand to create the illusion of something appearing or disappearing.

2. How does the trick deceive our senses?

The trick manipulates our senses by using distractions, hidden props, and clever techniques to make us perceive something that is not actually happening.

3. Can this trick be explained by science?

Yes, this trick can be explained by the principles of physics, psychology, and neuroscience. It is a combination of scientific principles and human perception that make the trick possible.

4. Are there any risks associated with performing this trick?

It depends on the complexity and execution of the trick. Some tricks may involve potential hazards such as fire or sharp objects, so it is important to always follow safety precautions and practice the trick carefully.

5. How can I learn to perform this trick?

There are various resources available, such as books, videos, and classes, that can teach you the techniques and skills needed to perform the trick. However, it also requires practice, patience, and a good understanding of the scientific principles behind the trick.