How does mirror symmetry for resistance work?

In summary, the question is to find the resistance between AF (top 2 points). Let the far right unlabelled vertex of the pentagon be B. The question asks if the resistors have the same value as if they were in a balanced bridge. If I make OC=short circuit, I get that R AF = \frac{6}{5}R.
phantomvommand
Homework Statement
Please see attached photo
Relevant Equations
Mirror symmetry, same potential nodes
Screenshot 2021-08-05 at 9.10.03 PM.png

The question is to find the resistance between AF (top 2 points). Let the far right unlabelled vertex of the pentagon be B.
Why can we say that points O and C are at the same potential? I get that both points O and C appear to be at 'half the path' if you consider AOF and ABCDF, and so potential at O = C. However, this is less clear if you consider the path AODF or ABCOF, and it is no longer obvious that O and C are at the same potential.
Why does the mirror symmetry method for resolving resistors work, despite the existence of other unsymmetrical paths?

• Love
Likes curious_mind and Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
This must be some sort of triweird symmetry which unfortunately I don't really understand. @Baluncore can you put this on spice please and tell us what you get. Is it indeed that ##V_O=V_C##?

I think all the resistors are meant to be of the same value.

Delta2 said:
This must be some sort of triweird symmetry which unfortunately I don't really understand. @Baluncore can you put this on spice please and tell us what you get. Is it indeed that ##V_O=V_C##?

I think all the resistors are meant to be of the same value.
I have a very indirect way of reasoning that V_O is equal to V_C. If you try drawing any path from A to F, say ABCOF, and suppose the current flows upwards from C to O, there exists another perfectly equal path, AOCDF, in which the current from C to O has the same magnitude as above but flows in the opposite direction. Thus, the currents cancel and i9 = 0, hence V_O = V_C. But this is extremely indirect, and my teacher stated immediately that V_O = V_C using the 'half the path' argument. However, I still cannot accept it, since 'half the path' is no longer intuitive when considering unsymmetrical paths.

Because of the symmetry, the potential at O must be half the emf. And the potential at C must be half the emf. So the potentials at O and C are equal. But if a (slightly) more rigorous explanation is needed, how about this…

Let ‘S’ be the axis of symmetry (through OC).

I think the cell’s emf is called ##\mathscr E##. Take point F to be 0 volts so point A is ##\mathscr E## volts.

The question should state that each resistor (except ##R_{OC}##) has the same value as its ‘partner’ resistor reflected in S. (A special case is when all resistors are equal, but having all resistors equal is not essential.)

Currents (apart from ##i_9##) are in equal pairs (##i_1=i_4, i_2=i_3##, etc.). This can be seen from the symmetry about S and from noting that reversing the cell’s polarity will not affect the magnitudes of any currents.

Apply Kirchhoff’s 2nd (voltage) law to loop AOFA. By symmetry the potential at O, halfway round the loop, is ##\frac {\mathscr E}{2}##.

Similarly for loop ABCDEFA, the potential at C, halfway round the loop, is also ##\frac {\mathscr E}{2}##.

Edit - typo' corrected.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2 and phantomvommand
phantomvommand said:
However, I still cannot accept it, since 'half the path' is no longer intuitive when considering unsymmetrical paths.
You shouldn't expect it to be intuitive when you consider asymmetrical paths. You're essentially saying if you look at the problem one way, the answer is clear. But if you look at the problem in a complicated way, the answer is no longer obvious, so it can't be right. The whole point of taking advantage of the symmetry is to avoid having to do a complicated analysis.

Likes Steve4Physics and phantomvommand
Delta2 said:
This must be some sort of triweird symmetry which unfortunately I don't really understand.
If it helps, rotate the diagram counter-clockwise by 90°, then you should see that there is no voltage across Roc which is part of a bridge diamond. The geographical orientation should have been reduced to orthogonal before drawing a circuit diagram. Redraw the rotated circuit.
When you throw out Roc, or replace it with a short, the network simply collapses into series and parallel combinations.

Make Roc = open circuit.
Then Raf = 2R // 4R, yes, that is simply parallel = 1/(1/2 + 1/4) = 1/3/4 = 4/3.

• Informative
Likes Delta2
Baluncore said:
Make Roc = open circuit.
Then Raf = 2R // 4R, yes, that is simply parallel = 1/(1/2 + 1/4) = 1/3/4 = 4/3.
If I make OC=short circuit i get ##R_{AF}=\frac{6}{5}R##.
That is I get that ##R_{BO}=R_{OD}=R/2## then this is connected in series with ##R_{AB}## (or ##R_{FD}## at the left part), so we have ##R+\frac{R}{2}=3\frac{R}{2}## there, which is in parallel with ##R_{AO}## (or ##R_{OF}## at the left part) so we have the resistance for this part is ##\frac{3}{5}R## and two parts of that in series , total ##\frac{6}{5}R##.

Likes Baluncore
Sorry, I did it in my head with my eyes closed. You are correct.
Pentagon.png

Roc is in a balanced bridge. Make Roc = infinite.
The horizontal link o-o can also = infinite.
Then for all three columns of two; 1+1=2.
The two columns on the right make 2//2=1, in series with 2 = 3.
3//2 = 6/5 = 1.2 ohm.

• Love
Likes Delta2

1. What is mirror symmetry for resistance?

Mirror symmetry for resistance is a phenomenon in which the resistance of a material is the same when measured from either side of a mirror plane. This means that the resistance of a material is unchanged when the direction of current flow is reversed.

2. How does mirror symmetry for resistance work?

Mirror symmetry for resistance is a result of the symmetrical arrangement of atoms in a material. When a material is flipped along a mirror plane, the arrangement of atoms remains unchanged, resulting in the same resistance value.

3. What materials exhibit mirror symmetry for resistance?

Most metallic materials exhibit mirror symmetry for resistance due to their crystalline structure. However, some non-metallic materials, such as graphene, also possess this property.

4. How is mirror symmetry for resistance measured?

Mirror symmetry for resistance can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as four-point probe measurements or resistance bridges. These methods involve passing a known current through the material and measuring the resulting voltage, which can then be used to calculate the resistance.

5. What are the practical applications of mirror symmetry for resistance?

Mirror symmetry for resistance is important in the design and functioning of electronic devices, such as transistors and integrated circuits. It allows for more efficient and reliable performance of these devices, as well as easier integration of different materials with varying resistance values.