Why doesn't this mp3 player work in the car?

• Thread starter ProfuselyQuarky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Work
In summary, my father has this old mp3 player that he really likes to use. He uses it in the car often but the only problem is that, sometimes, the interference is so bad you can't hear anything. This only happens in car. What's more is that this only happens in the car when the driver's door is closed. When the door is open, everything goes back to normal and you can hear whatever is being played just fine. This only works with the front door. When the driver's window is open, it doesn't work, either. I have no idea what could possibly cause this. It definitely has nothing to do with the player itself or our location. Other devices that can be used to listen to
ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
My father has this old mp3 player that he really likes to use. He uses it in the car often but the only problem is that, sometimes, the interference is so bad you can't hear anything. This only happens in car. What's more is that this only happens in the car when the driver's door is closed. When the door is open, everything goes back to normal and you can hear whatever is being played just fine. This only works with the front door. When the driver's window is open, it doesn't work, either. I have no idea what could possibly cause this. It definitely has nothing to do with the player itself or our location. Other devices that can be used to listen to the radio (e.g. iPod, etc.) works just fine. What's up?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My first instinct would be to say "Faraday Cage", but then that doesn't explain why the iPod works.

That is quite the mystery...
Does the player even have any sending or receiving electronics?
Maybe the interference happens on different frequencies than the ones used in radio or by the iPod.

Is it connected via an aux cord or FM transmitter? Sounds like it's the door switch circuit. Leave the door open and push the door switch, it'll be somewhere on the door frame.

Ok don't throw me stones here, but isn't an MP3 player used for listening to MP3 files located in a memory card (or maybe a CD/DVD). What does an MP3 player got to do with listening to Digital or Analog FM radio?

Likes davenn and Tom.G
Ok maybe the Mp3 player has integrated digital/analog FM radio.

If it is digital FM radio then there might be an explanation for this. When we close the door the SNR (signal to noise ratio) of the received signal drops. There must be something wrong in the receiving/decoding circuit of the Mp3 player so that it requires a higher SNR in order to decode properly the signal. If the SNR is lower than a critical value then in digital FM radio you ll hear nothing.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and davenn
Is he powering the MP3 player from it's own batteries or from an adaptor plugged into the car?

Is he using some sort of adaptor that allows the MP3 player to play over the speakers in the car? Some use FM radio for this.

Fightfish said:
My first instinct would be to say "Faraday Cage", but then that doesn't explain why the iPod works.
I haven't heard of that before. I'll look into it.
Tazerfish said:
Does the player even have any sending or receiving electronics?
I'm not sure what you mean. Could you elaborate? Sorry.
billy_joule said:
Is it connected via an aux cord or FM transmitter?
FM transmitter.
Delta² said:
Ok don't throw me stones here, but isn't an MP3 player used for listening to MP3 files located in a memory card (or maybe a CD/DVD). What does an MP3 player got to do with listening to Digital or Analog FM radio?
*throws stone at Delta2* Yeah, he uses it for books mostly but the radio in the old car is busted so that's where the mp3 player comes in handy.
Delta² said:
Ok maybe the Mp3 player has integrated digital/analog FM radio.

If it is digital FM radio then there might be an explanation for this. When we close the door the SNR (signal to noise ratio) of the received signal drops. There must be something wrong in the receiving/decoding circuit of the Mp3 player so that it requires a higher SNR in order to decode properly the signal. If the SNR is lower than a critical value then in digital FM radio you ll hear nothing.
That's a nice/interesting explanation :smile: Is there a way I could fix it or at the very least experiment to see if this is the cause? My father doesn't care about the player itself but I'd like to delve a bit deeper and figure it out once and for all.
CWatters said:
Is he powering the MP3 player from it's own batteries or from an adaptor plugged into the car?

Is he using some sort of adaptor that allows the MP3 player to play over the speakers in the car? Some use FM radio for this.
The mp3 player can be charged either by plugging it into an outlet or PC. I've never seen it plugged into the car with an adaptor, but I'm close to positive that it can be done. We can plug in a phone into the other car to play stuff over the speakers, so I can take the plug and see if the mp3 player can do the same, if that'll be of any interest.

ProfuselyQuarky said:
The mp3 player can be charged either by plugging it into an outlet or PC. I've never seen it plugged into the car with an adaptor, but I'm close to positive that it can be done. We can plug in a phone into the other car to play stuff over the speakers, so I can take the plug and see if the mp3 player can do the same, if that'll be of any interest.

Hi, I wasn't really suggesting you try this. I was asking if he was doing this already because it might explain the problem. If he's not doing either then the cause must be elsewhere.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
ProfuselyQuarky said:
he uses it for books mostly but the radio in the old car is busted so that's where the mp3 player comes in handy.

Is he using headphones?

CWatters said:
Hi, I wasn't really suggesting you try this. I was asking if he was doing this already because it might explain the problem. If he's not doing either then the cause must be elsewhere.
Alright, then.
CWatters said:
Is he using headphones?
Yes...well, not headphones. They're earbuds, but same thing, right?

1. Why is my mp3 player not playing in my car?

There are a few possible reasons for this. First, make sure that your mp3 player is compatible with your car's audio system. If your car has an older audio system, it may not be able to read newer mp3 formats. Also, check that your mp3 player is fully charged and that the volume is turned up. If these steps do not solve the issue, there may be a problem with the connection between your mp3 player and your car's audio system.

2. Can I use any mp3 player in my car?

It depends on your car's audio system. Some cars have audio systems that are only compatible with certain mp3 players. It's always best to check your car's manual or do some research to ensure that your mp3 player is compatible before attempting to use it in your car.

3. Why does my mp3 player work in other cars but not mine?

This could be due to compatibility issues with your car's audio system, as mentioned before. It could also be a problem with the connection, such as a loose or damaged audio cable. Make sure to check these factors before assuming that your mp3 player is not working properly.

4. How can I fix my mp3 player so it works in my car?

If your mp3 player is not working in your car, the first step would be to check compatibility and make sure all necessary connections are secure and undamaged. If that does not solve the issue, there may be a problem with your mp3 player itself. Try resetting the device or seeking assistance from the manufacturer for further troubleshooting steps.

5. Is there an alternative to using an mp3 player in my car?

Yes, there are several alternatives to using an mp3 player in your car. Many newer cars have Bluetooth capabilities, allowing you to play music from your phone or other devices wirelessly. You can also use a USB drive or burn your music onto a CD to play in your car. Additionally, some cars have auxiliary inputs that allow you to connect your device directly to the audio system.