Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why doesn't this presentation embed?

1. Sep 20, 2008 #1

tgt

How to show <G,t|t^{-1}kt=k, k in K> does not embed into <G,t|->?

Where K is a subgroup of an arbitrary group G.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I admit I don't know much about this stuff, but what exactly does <G,t|-> mean? Is it the free group generated by the set [itex]G \cup \{t\}[/itex]? And how are you defining the embedding of presentations?

4. Sep 21, 2008 #3

tgt

If G=<X|R> where X is the generating set for G and R are the relations in G then <G,t|-> is <X,t|R>.

Embedding means there exists an injective homomorphism.

5. Sep 21, 2008 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I still don't understand. What is "-", the empty relation? If so then isn't what I asked true: <G,t|-> is the free group generated by [itex]G \cup \{t\}[/itex]?

6. Sep 21, 2008 #5

tgt

I never said you were wrong. I like to only use the term free group for groups generated from a basis only. What I said in the previous post has no mistakes either.

7. Sep 22, 2008 #6

tgt

Correction, you were actually wrong. The free group generated by G U {t} will be greater. i.e take G={a,b} with the relations a=1, bb=1. Those relations will hold in <G,t|-> but not in the free group. In fact <G,t|-> is the free product of G with {t}.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?