1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why doesn't this solution work?

1. Sep 10, 2009 #1
    Why doesn't this "solution" work?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ball is to be shot from level ground toward a wall at distance x with launch angle theta. The y-component of the velocity just as it would reach the wall, as a function of that distance x is given by the equation v_y(x) = -0.5 x + 5. Find the launch angle theta.

2. Relevant equations
    projectile motion

3. The attempt at a solution
    This problem was originally shown with some graphs, but I rewrote it with an exact equation for v_y(x) instead of the graph. Hopefully it's equally clear. Henceforth I'll use v to mean v_y and a to mean a_y since I'm not interested in the x-direction for this problem.

I should say up front that I've already solved this problem "the hard way" (which was actually much harder than it appears at first glance). I had what I thought was a clever idea though and tried to apply some calculus to this problem but I seem to be doing something wrong. Essentially I said that if v = -0.5x + 5, then -0.5 = dv/dx = dv/dt * dt/dx = a(t) / v(t)

-0.5 = a(t) / v(t)

The second step comes from the definition of the chain rule, and the third from the fact that dv/dt = a(t) and dt/dx = 1/(dx/dt) = 1 / v(t). Since we know a(t) is equal to -9.8 m/s^2, and that dv/dx is -0.5 since it's a straight line, we have

-0.5 = -9.8 / v(t)
    v(t) = 19.6 m/s

Obviously this is wrong since velocity in the y direction isn't going to be constant. I don't see any obvious reason why the chain rule doesnt apply here although that's the most obvious place for there to have been an error. Since I know velocity isn't constant, and that a = v', I could also have re-written the equation as:

-0.5 v = v'

This would be a differential equation with solution v(t) = Ke^(-0.5 t) + C

This doesn't seem right either though, because that means acceleration is non-constant, and this is just a simple particle in free-fall (again ignoring the x-component of motion).

So I guess I'm making a fundamental error, can anyone point it out? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Re: Why doesn't this "solution" work?

vy = -0.5*x + 5.
    When x = 0 Vy = 5 = Vo*sinθ....(1)
    When Vy = 0, x = 10 m. = Vo*cos*θ*t = Vo*cos*θ*Vosinθ/g....(2)
    From these two equations find θ.

4. Sep 10, 2009 #3

Where are you getting t = v_0 sin(θ) / g?

Also I'm still curious why there's an error in the chain rule method above, even though this method also appears easier than the way I used to solve it.

5. Sep 10, 2009 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your "clever" way to approach the problem is indeed a step-saver. The problem is that you did not keep track of your vector components properly when you applied the chain rule. Check this out

[tex]a_{y}=\frac{dv_{y}}{dt}=\frac{dv_{y}}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}=v_{x}\frac{dv_{y}}{dx}=(-0.5 \;s^{-1})v_{x}[/tex]

As you see, the horizontal component of the velocity is constant because the acceleration of gravity is constant. I am sure you can wrap it up from this point.

6. Sep 10, 2009 #5

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

When the ball reaches the highest point Vy = 0. = V0*sinθ - g*t

7. Sep 10, 2009 #6

Doh. It always feels like such an epic fail coming up with a really cool idea and then messing up because of something simple. Based on your suggestion I get approximately 14 degrees launch angle.

8. Sep 10, 2009 #7

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's about what I get for the angle.

9. Sep 10, 2009 #8

Edit: Nvm, thought I had a different method that wasn't working but turns out it does work, made another careless mistake.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  10. Sep 10, 2009 #9

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

dy/dx = dy/dt*dt/dx = v_y*1/v_x = tanθ - gx/(v_o*cosθ)

so v_y = v_x*tanθ - gx/v_x
    Compare it with the given equation.
    You get tanθ = 5/v_x and v_x = g/0.5.

11. Sep 10, 2009 #10

Yea, for some reason I forgot the chain rule needed to be applied this time. Duh :) Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook