Why don't some online stores ship abroad :/? Mail forwarding service?

• Thread starter MissSilvy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ship
In summary: The publishers licenses someone in India to sell very cheap editions because Indians cannot afford $300 textbooks and getting a smaller return is better than having people simply pirate them. The books are cheaper because the book itself is cheaper, as in almost tissue-paper thin pages, etc. They can't sell to the US because in the US you need to buy a US version and the publisher probably won't let them sell outside the country.But, there are other factors that limit international shipping. The cost of shipping itself is usually prohibitively expensive, then there is all the extra paperwork for getting items through customs, and the fees for that (and that it may get held up or delayed, or not allowed through).
MissSilvy
I recently came across Flipkart books, an Indian bookseller that has, fantastically, some very expensive and difficult to locate physics books for almost suspiciously cheap. I checked around online and it seems that most people that had ordered said they haven't had any problems. So I gleefully place an order and get to the shipping screen to realize that they only ship to Indian addresses.

I live in the US, but I now know how frustrated people must get when stores in the US don't ship abroad. Is there any work around for this sort of thing? I've looked for mail forwarding services but so far, all I've found is services that forward mail from the US to abroad. And I don't know anyone in India either :/ How irritating!

Physics news on Phys.org
In this case the publisher licenses someone in India to sell very cheap editions because Indians cannot afford $300 textbooks and getting a smaller return is better than having people simply pirate them.
But they wouldn't do this if the Indian printer was allowed to sell the $20 indian editions in the US.

It used to be said that if you were doing law/medicine in the US then a quick flight to Mumbai would pay for itself in textbooks.

Funny how things change, Charles Dickens complained about piracy of his books in the US

While I understand the economics of the situation and their motivation for this sort of stuff, it's hard to feel bad for publishers when they price gouge on things like college textbooks (which is enormously lucrative, if I remember correctly).

Different issues of the books are sold to India compared with the US. They are cheaper because the book itself is cheaper, as in almost tissue-paper thin pages, etc. They can't sell to the US because in the US you need to buy a US version and the publisher probably won't let them sell outside the country.

But, there are other factors that limit international shipping. The cost of shipping itself is usually prohibitively expensive, then there is all the extra paperwork for getting items through customs, and the fees for that (and that it may get held up or delayed, or not allowed through).

There are reputable reasons; higher chance of theft/credit card fraud, high number of returns when the customer gets a demand for import duty and refuses the package and simply the cost of shipping.

But mostly it's just price gouging, it's illegal to charge more to residents of Manhattan or Beverley Hills so you charge more in Canada. Fortunately most stores just over the border do ship-to-store and don't care where your credit is from.

MissSilvy said:
While I understand the economics of the situation and their motivation for this sort of stuff, it's hard to feel bad for publishers when they price gouge on things like college textbooks (which is enormously lucrative, if I remember correctly).
Its a niche market. If you have ever looked for rare books they get rather expensive. One of my favourite authors is little known but has a cult following. He has produced work that would be of little interest to anyone but a loyal fan and I know of at least one 50 page trade paper back that sells for about $70-80. Limited edition hardbacks of some of his other works start at about $100 I think. These are produced by a small publisher because there would be no reason for a large publisher to waste its time on such a small market.

Moonbear said:
But, there are other factors that limit international shipping. The cost of shipping itself is usually prohibitively expensive, then there is all the extra paperwork for getting items through customs, and the fees for that (and that it may get held up or delayed, or not allowed through).
I regularly purchase items from Indonesia (I know that isn't India) and it does not cost that much. I've never had any issues with customs either.

1. Why do some online stores not ship abroad?

There are a few reasons why some online stores may not offer international shipping. One reason is that the cost of shipping can be significantly higher for international orders, making it less profitable for the store to ship abroad. Additionally, there may be legal and tax issues involved with shipping to other countries. Some stores may also have restrictions from their suppliers that prevent them from shipping certain products internationally.

2. Can I use a mail forwarding service to get around this issue?

Yes, a mail forwarding service can be a helpful solution for purchasing items from online stores that do not offer international shipping. These services provide you with a US address that you can use as your shipping address for the store. The service will then forward the package to your international address for an additional fee.

3. Are there any risks associated with using a mail forwarding service?

While using a mail forwarding service can be a convenient option, there are some potential risks to consider. There is always a chance that the package could get lost or damaged during the forwarding process. Additionally, some stores may not accept returns or offer customer support for orders that were shipped through a forwarding service.

4. Is it possible for online stores to change their shipping policies in the future?

Yes, it is possible for online stores to change their shipping policies in the future. If a store sees an increase in demand from international customers, they may decide to start offering international shipping. It is always a good idea to check back periodically to see if the store has changed their shipping policies.

5. How can I determine if a store offers international shipping before making a purchase?

You can usually find information about a store's shipping policies on their website. Look for a section on shipping or frequently asked questions (FAQs) that may address international shipping. You can also try contacting the store directly to inquire about their shipping policies before making a purchase.